Skip to main content

Big Brother


 I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it through the Holy Spirit— I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, and the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised. Amen. (Romans 9:1-5)
                How do you feel about the Jews? They’re an oppressed people. They have been an oppressed people for most of their history. In Paul’s day, they were oppressed by Rome, but I don’t think this is the cause of Paul’s distress. I suspect Paul’s main reason for the distress being described is his feeling that his people were rejecting Christianity and being left behind. It was his heart’s desire for the Jews to recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Wherever he went, he went first to the synagogues and talked to them, then he went to the Gentiles.
          Yesterday, I skimmed an article suggesting that the biggest killer of marriages is unmet expectations. I’ve talked to Jews, and that’s what I’ve heard as the reason to reject Jesus, and even God (though they are devout in their practice of the customs of their people.) Atheists and agnostics tell me the same thing. If only God would meet their expectations, then they would believe in Him. But whatever their reasons, Paul’s heart ached for his people because of their rejection.
          I think it also ached because the Jews were being oppressed by Rome and rejected as a faith by Christians, even in the First Century. After all, the Jews were oppressing the Christians. Paul had sought the death of Christians before meeting Christ. In Christ, all the traditions and laws of the Jews were left behind. But, Israel was the first adopted son. Israel was the elder brother in the story of the Prodigal Son, the one who kept the form of the law without understanding the meaning or intent. God’s love for Israel didn’t disappear just because Israel’s degenerate sibling had been found.
          Through history, lies have been told about Israel. Perhaps the biggest is the lie that the Jews killed Jesus. Some Jews were part of the conspiracy, but the Romans were also involved. God was also involved. The truth of the matter is that each and every one of us made His death necessary. We’re all to blame.
          Lies are still being told about Israel. Some see them as the cause of much of the problem in the world. Others at least seem to think Israel cannot be held accountable for any wrong that they do. Israel is still God’s adopted son. I believe God is allowing Israel to be oppressed because Israel is still rejecting God and His commandments. They may cling to their traditions, but to God, not so much.
          We need to pray for the peace of Jerusalem, not so much in terms of their peace with the other nations in the Middle East, but in terms of the peace with God. We also need to keep in mind that as the Church is the bride of Christ, Israel is our big brother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t