Skip to main content

God's Choices


It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’” Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use? (Romans 9:16-21)
          In Esther, Mordecai asks her, And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14) God raised up Pharaoh to display His power in him and so his name might be proclaimed in all the earth. He called Job, Moses, and David, his servants. (Esther 4:4) He said of a pagan king, I will raise up Cyrus in my righteousness: I will make all his ways straight. He will rebuild my city and set my exiles free, but not for a price or reward, says the Lord Almighty.” (Isaiah 45:13) He puts people where they need to be to accomplish what He chooses for them to accomplish.
         I’m tempted to say, “Yeah, but all those people were rich and powerful. I’m a nobody.” Both sentences are lies. Job was rich and powerful, but his place in history is founded on having everything taken away from him. His wife told him to commit suicide. His friends accused him of being the worse of men. Moses started out with everything, but spent forty years as a shepherd, and another forty years wandering around with a group of people who rebelled at every chance. David spent years hiding from King Saul. Yes, Esther was a queen, who as conscripted into a harem and raped. “No” didn’t mean “no” for her. It meant death.
          There are three traps we can fall into as we think about God raising someone up. The first is that God raising someone up that God makes them rich or powerful, and (we assume) happy. God can’t possibly raise someone up to live in such poverty that they eat dirt, can He? How could God be raising me up when I have gone from county employee, to retail worker, to unemployed and living on Dad’s charity? Part of the answer to that is that while my current situation has lots of limitations that I don’t like, it also gives me opportunities to do things that are more important than a job.
         The second trap is that we think God raising someone up means He approves of that person’s behavior. God can’t possibly raise up someone like Hitler, can He? And if He does, doesn’t that mean He approves of what that person does? If you read I and II Kings, and I and II Chronicles, you’ll find that most of the kings of Israel and Judah did evil in God’s sight. At least one of the prophets says that God was angry with a nation He brought to punish Israel because they were nastier than God approved. (Sorry, I don’t find the reference right now.)
         The third trap is that we believe that whatever God raises them up to do will be possible for them and that they’ll be successful at it. There’s a saying that God won’t give us more than we can handle. I believe that saying is a horrible lie, because if God won’t give us more than we can handle, then we don’t need God. We can handle it all just fine, thank you. It might be a challenge, but we’ve got this, God. No, God gives us more than we can handle to reveal Himself to us and to reveal to us the truth that we need Him.
         It’s easy to make the assumption that God’s choice of someone means He approves of them. It’s easy to assume that what we think are positive circumstances means that God approves of us. But in choosing someone of whom He doesn’t approve, or in choosing someone who isn’t in good circumstances, He shows us not only His love for all of us, but His omnipotence and omniscience because He can use then those to accomplish His will. There’s song by Don Francisco that I think says it well. Don Francisco's "Balaam"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t