Skip to main content

Peace With God


Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. (Romans 5:1-2)

          Now that Paul has thoroughly established that our justification comes through faith and not through law, the next question is, “What difference does it make?” or “So what?” In today’s passage, Paul tells us that one difference is that we have peace with God. Yes, here we go again – peace? What does that mean? 
         I’m not going to say that peace means nothing more than the absence of wrath, but the violation of the law brings wrath. If we are not justified, we face wrath. That suggests that there is at least a little value to considering that aspect of peace. How do you feel about having someone angry with you? It depends on the situation, of course, but in generally, having someone angry with you isn’t pleasant. Wrath is worse. That peace is the absence of wrath means the pressure is off. You don’t have a bullseye on your back. 
          One way that I think about this is in terms of natural disasters. I’m not saying that natural disasters are God’s wrath, but they make a good picture thereof. The south-eastern part of the U.S. can count on hurricanes. This year we have had two category 5s hit, and a third trying to make up its mind. The Midwest is known as “Tornado Alley.” We’re all just waiting for “the big one” to hit California and at least part of the state to fall into the Pacific. Alone the Pacific coast, there have been tsunamis. A few years back, Mt. Saint Helens blew her stack, and the devastation from that volcano is nothing compared to what will happen when the super-volcano that makes up a good chunk of Yellowstone National Park erupts, and the scientists tell us that we’re either due, or past due. There are a lot of places in this country where it’s really just not wise to live. 
         My home town is technically at the edge of Tornado Alley. We have endured the painful deaths of a few hurricanes. There is a fault beneath Lake Erie, and we have had a few tiny earthquakes (earth-shivers? earth-twitches? earth-hiccoughs?) Certainly, if the Yellowstone super volcano erupts, we would be caught in the fallout. We do get some impressive snow storms. My home town is not safe, but a few years back, it was included in the top ten safest cities to live in in the U.S. In comparison to other places, including where I spend half the year, it is safe. The sense of danger isn’t there in the same way. 
        This is an illustration (though perhaps not the best) of what it’s like to have peace with God. There’s a sense of safety. One doesn’t have to live with the question of when (not if) the next disaster is going to hit. They may be possible. You might have to take a glancing blow, but the certainty that next time may take everything just isn’t there. It lets you smile at the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t