Skip to main content

Prudence and Global Warming


The simple believe anything, but the prudent give thought to their steps. (Proverbs 14:13)   
          Global warming is in the news again, or at least in my feed again. Recently, one person scolded me because I mentioned an article that says that 97% of climate scientists supposedly claim that man-made global warming is taking place don’t actually claim that it. I was scolded for not trusting scientists. I said I hadn’t read the article, which refuted the popular theory. That’s why she scolded me, but she went on to add that I should trust scientists. Yesterday, someone posted a meme saying that scientists have once again landed a ship “on a dime” on Mars, so we should trust scientists about global warming. I’ve had people tell me they just can’t understand how I could reject evolution. Did I need evidence? Just look around, and trust scientists. If the scientists said it, it must be true because scientists, it seems, are incapable of personal biases, error, or political agenda. What’s the phrase? The science is settled and those who disagree are not good scientists (which is a tautology, by the way.) 
        So here’s my take on global warming. I think we need to give prudent thought to the issue. Is the earth warming? It seems to be. Why is it warming? Is it because of human activity? Is it because it’s been warming up since the last ice age? Is it just part of a cycle? Maybe to all of the above. Supposedly, science says it’s all about the carbon dioxide. Maybe, but the earth system is far more complex than that. There are a lot of discoveries that have been made within the last fifty years that are only beginning to be thought of in terms of the whole system, but we are supposed to trust scientists – without hesitation – to solve the problem using their computerized models. I find the idea of turning the earth into a police state run by scientists more than a little scary, especially given the supposedly high percentage of scientists who don’t include God in their formulae. I am too aware of prophecy to think it a good idea to turn control of the world over to any individual or group, and especially a group that leaves God out of the equation. Who is more likely than scientists to decide to put a numbered RFID chip into a hand or forehead? An issue more central to the current question – how do we know that the scientists have come up with a right answer? Yes, engineers can land a spacecraft on a dime on Mars, but if they get something wrong, we might have to move to Mars to survive, and I’m not sure we’re ready for that. 
          So if a CEO wants to put ten million dollars toward saving the environment, I’m all for it, but don’t place us under the authority of scientists, and be careful if you want to bet my life that they’re right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t