Skip to main content

The Word

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:1-2, 14)

           But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.  (Matthew 15:18)

          It’s December, and truth told, I’m tired of dealing with wisdom for the moment. Wisdom isn’t depressing, it’s uplifting, but so much of wisdom deals with how unwise we are and the folly of the world. So, since it’s December, and the Christmas carols have been dusted off, I want to spend at least a few days looking at verses that are more in tune with the Christmas carols. Maybe I’ll even look at a few of the songs.
          Jesus said that the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart. John describes Jesus as “The Word of God.” That means that Jesus comes from God’s heart and gives us the best picture thereof. I know some people will immediately say that Jesus taught love, which means God’s heart is love. That’s true. It’s wonderfully true. But what does it mean? It means God loves you. What does that mean? Everyone has their own ideas. 
          He wrote of another kind of love, in which adults direct children how to behave. Out of love, children are first prevented, and later instructed not to stick foreign objects into electrical sockets or noses, what may or may not be eaten, how and when to cross streets, etc. To fail to do this to and for children is considered neglect. Children are taught where it is permitted to relieve themselves, how to dress themselves and the importance of doing so, how to feed themselves. They are taught to not steal or murder. They are taught to believe in ways that the adults believe to be best. This is known as love.
           But when it comes to God’s love for us, somehow, we think it will be different. After all, we’re adults. At the very least, God should discuss His decisions with us. How we decide to live – however we decide t live, should be up to us. We know best. know best. know best. know best. And if we don’t get our way, well, we throw ourselves on the floor of the grocery store and scream. We tell God He doesn’t know what He’s doing, He doesn’t love us, we don’t love him, and we are going to run away from Him and never speak to Him again because that’s the adult thing to do. We tell others that “I would never worship a God who _______________” as though our worship is something He has to earn. 
         And, I suspect, God acts something like the parent of the child who acts just like we do. We don’t get our way. We don’t get to define love or dictate His behavior, because He’s God and because He loves us. He acts just like Jesus did when the Pharisees pitched their fits becuase He didn't do what they wanted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t