Skip to main content

A Long Obedience

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, (Hebrews 12:1)


                I think I have to blame choir practice. Yesterday, we were talking about the Gospel Concert we give every spring and I think my mind finally connected with the fact that its only a couple weeks away. For me, it seems to mark the end of the season. I may be here a little longer, but that time is the time of closing things down here and preparing to go north. As so often happens, my mind kicks into overdrive, but as I look around, I realize that I can only lift my tires off the ground. I have to get ready, but there’s not much that can be done yet. I am going to need that, and that, and that, and those are staying here, and…. The result is instant stress, instant insanity. I’m caught between “Hurry up!”  and “NO, not yet.”
                It just so happens that yesterday, I finished re-reading Mere Christianity. If you haven’t read it yet, or if you haven’t read it recently, you should. Putting it away, I pulled out the next book on life that I brought with me to read: A Long Obedience In The Same Direction, by Eugene Peterson. It deals with the chapters from the Psalms called the Songs of Ascent. They were the songs the Jews sang three times a year as they made their way up to Jerusalem. How appropriate, to share in their pilgrimage as I prepare to make my own. Of course, their pilgrimages didn’t tend to involve moving a small household of stuff, but that’s just details.
                The title of the book comes from what might be thought a curious source. Fredrich Nietzsche wrote, “The essential thing ‘in heaven and earth’ is . . . that there should be a long obedience in the same direction; there thereby results, and has always resulted in the long run, something which has made life worth living.”
                I’ve been praying for a number of things for what seems like quite a while. The most important of these is Dad. One of my friends who has also been praying has expressed discouragement because she, too, has been praying and God seems to do nothing. It’s like being on a road to somewhere you’ve never been. It doesn’t matter how near place A is to place B, it feels like it takes forever. When you’re waiting for God to do something, what takes a year may feel like it’s five or ten if you don’t know what to expect. When you know the way, it feels like it takes a lot less time.
             But with God, the journey requires a long obedience in the same direction because that’s what builds the virtues and the character that is God’s goal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...