Skip to main content

What Kind Of God?


          I lift up my eyes to you, to you who sit enthroned in heaven. As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a female slave look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, till he shows us his mercy. Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy on us, for we have endured no end of contempt. We have endured no end of ridicule from the arrogant, of contempt from the proud. (Psalm 123)
          We are not presented with a functional god who will help us out of jams, or an entertainment god who will lighten our tedious hours. We are presented with the God of exodus and Easter, the God of Sinai and Calvary. If we want to see God the way He really is, we must look to the place of authority – to Scripture and to Jesus Christ.
          And do we really want it any other way? I don’t think so. We would very soon become contemptuous of a god whom we could figure out like a puzzle, or learn to use as a tool. No, if God is worth our attention at all, He must be a God we can look up to – a God we must look up to…” (Eugene Peterson, A Long Obedience In The Same Direction, p63)
          When I discuss God with Atheists and Agnostics, I often hear that they would believe in Him if He would manifest Himself. I’ve been told that under those conditions, they would never doubt again. When I ask what form this manifestation would need to take, more often than not, the answer has both a positive and a negative component. It is a manifestation that could not be dismissed as a natural phenomenon, but it is also something silly, a fifty-foot tall Charlton Heston, for example. 
          In some cases, they recognize their challenge is meant to ridicule. In others, they believe that this one extravagant gesture on God’s part would solve the problem forever. Of course, it would not. The Israelites turned to idols while God was thundering on Mt. Sinai, in plain view of all. They turned against God, Moses, and Aaron repeatedly, though God showed both judgment and mercy. 
          The problem is that something that wows and then goes away is easily dismissed. Consider the resurrection. God did step into history and did something spectacular, and the very people who say, “If God would just manifest himself” reject it. They would likewise reject a fifty-foot tall Charlton Heston as a delusion, a daydream, a trick for which there is a technological answer if only we look hard enough. No, God would have to re-prove Himself with every increasing frequency and inventive frivolity. He would have to become a performing circus poodle, and that would lose our respect. We would no longer look at God with respect. He would be a shmoo version of Jim Carrey, there to give us everything we want and to entertain us, too. 
          The only god worth having is a God who does not obey us, a God we can look up to – a God we must look up to.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t