Skip to main content

The Dragon And The Flood


If the Lord had not been on our side— let Israel say— if the Lord had not been on our side when people attacked us,  they would have swallowed us alive when their anger flared against us;  the flood would have engulfed us, the torrent would have swept over us, the raging waters would have swept us away. Praise be to the Lord, who has not let us be torn by their teeth. We have escaped like a bird from the fowler’s snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 124)
                Two kinds of trouble are presented here. According to Mr. Peterson, the “they would have swallowed us alive” kind of trouble brings to mind being attacked by a dragon, and dragons are, he says, the embodiment of evil and of all that we fear. No one has ever seen a dragon, but the folks singing this song would have understood that they stood no chance in the face of such hatred. It’s the question “Where was God when the terrorists flew the jets into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon?” and the question “Where was God when the mass shooter opened fire?”
          The flood, on the other hand, is the “one moment everything was fine and then wham!” situation. It’s not that evil pounced, but that stuff happens. So this part is the question “Where was God when Katrina hit?”
          In our minds, if God had been there, those things would not have happened, period. That is the only acceptable response on God’s part. He must prevent any harm from befalling anyone we approve of at all times. Yeah, it’s OK if God lets bad things happen to pedophiles or people who put children in suitcases or puppies in plastic bags and throw them away on the side of the road. But for “normal” people, nothing bad should ever be allowed.
          That’s not God being God, that’s use being gods. God called the Israelites to travel through territory were dragons and floods, attacks and disasters were not only possible, but probable. You couldn’t have written a better backdrop for an ambush, whether by attacker or nature. God not only allowed the events, He set up the conditions that made them likely.
          So where was God? How can we say, “The Lord is on our side?” when dragons attack and flood wash away? The first point that comes to mind is the fact that this psalm doesn’t say that if the Lord is on our side, bad things won’t happen. The Lord is on our side when these bad things happen. How can we say God is on our side? He created us. He sent Jesus to die on the cross on our behalf. And given that this psalm is written in the past tense, He is on our side because we have survived. It might have been a tough time. There may have been great losses, but if God weren’t on our side, it could have been so much worse. Yes, the dragon attacked, but God didn’t unleash the plagues of Egypt on you. Yes, the flood washed away so much, but you’re alive. Your life can still be blessed and a blessing, sometimes more so because you’ve faced the dragon and the flood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t