Skip to main content

New And Improved


           Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have departed from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.” (II Timothy 2:14-19)

          Here we go again. Don’t quarrel about words. Avoid godless chatter. What do these things mean? One resource I checked suggested that this refers to quarreling about issues not clearly discussed in Scripture. ? I wish Paul would have provided examples of what he was saying.
As I think about it, though, there are words that are dividing the Church:
Emergent
Missional
Relevant
Seeker-Sensitive
         There are probably others, but they share a basic perspective that the Church is garbage and that they are the new, improved Church. I hear from some folks that the Church needs to be somewhere that the unchurched feel comfortable, and that we must do everything in our power to bring in new folks. And that’s true. But I also see those same churches effectively kicking the “old folks” (not necessarily aged, but those who don’t “get with the program”) to the curb.
         I have attended services at a church at which the pastor gave a gospel presentation every Sunday morning. It didn’t matter that the people who were there were the same people who had been there for the past four years. It didn’t matter that there was nothing in the message to educate, edify, or encourage someone who had been a Christian for a year or two. I’ve attended services where the music was too loud, and all the songs were unfamiliar, week after week. Long-time members have been shrugged off and told to "talk to the hand" because the church was focused on new blood. I've also heard those long-time members verbally abuse the worship team.
          And those who have been around for a while (sometimes including me) respond negatively to thrown out with the trash. And the quarreling begins. And quite honestly, some of the older folks behave worse than the new folks. Both sides are guilty. We need to reach the lost, but at the same time, we need to edify, encourage, educate, and involve those who aren't "new and improved Christians."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...