Skip to main content

Gold


          But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside. (Job 23:10-11)

          I would like to be able to say this more than I can. Living with Dad was a challenge because he got to the point where he didn’t want to make any decisions and I don’t want to make any wrong decisions – which means that I’m horrible with arbitrary decisions. That means that 90% of the time, neither of us wanted to make a decision and in that 10% where we did make them, we tended to disagree. I got him to help me choose what kind of car to get by finally asking him which kind he would get for himself (that was how I got Deborah. Abraham was easy – I needed a truck into which I could maneuver Dad. Simple logic.)
          Most of the big decisions in my life are Abraham in Ur situations. God calls me to go somewhere that I don’t know and do something I’m not comfortable doing. What’s worse, and the point of this essay, is that I’m not even sure God’s called me. I started “walking with Abraham” back in 2015 when I quit my job to take care of Dad. I knew I was making a good decision then. This fall, as I came back to Florida without Dad, I didn’t know what to do. I made a couple missteps (in my opinion) and ended up buying a place. This morning, I’m standing for election as the secretary of the association. No one else seemed willing to run, which means the job is very likely mine. I don’t regret it, but I’m not excited. I can do the job, but am I supposed to?
I have the same difficulty with the whole writing thing. Is that the direction I’m really supposed to go? Am I wasting time and money? It would be so nice to be able to see the end from the beginning… to not have to take a chance… to know I’m doing the right thing.
          But, God is able to see the end from the beginning. God knows the way I take. It might not be what I consider the right way, but He’s promised before that He won’t let me miss my “exit.” He will guide and direct me. So, as I launch myself into yet another volunteer position, His test for me is not whether or not I can take minutes. His test for me is whether or not I will leave Ur, get out of the boat, or otherwise trust Him that He has not left me.
          Some people see the “when I have been tested, I will come forth as gold” as arrogance, and it could be. It could also be Job’s confidence that the process through which God was taking him would result in his coming forth as gold because God was in control. He still is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t