Skip to main content

Gold


          But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside. (Job 23:10-11)

          I would like to be able to say this more than I can. Living with Dad was a challenge because he got to the point where he didn’t want to make any decisions and I don’t want to make any wrong decisions – which means that I’m horrible with arbitrary decisions. That means that 90% of the time, neither of us wanted to make a decision and in that 10% where we did make them, we tended to disagree. I got him to help me choose what kind of car to get by finally asking him which kind he would get for himself (that was how I got Deborah. Abraham was easy – I needed a truck into which I could maneuver Dad. Simple logic.)
          Most of the big decisions in my life are Abraham in Ur situations. God calls me to go somewhere that I don’t know and do something I’m not comfortable doing. What’s worse, and the point of this essay, is that I’m not even sure God’s called me. I started “walking with Abraham” back in 2015 when I quit my job to take care of Dad. I knew I was making a good decision then. This fall, as I came back to Florida without Dad, I didn’t know what to do. I made a couple missteps (in my opinion) and ended up buying a place. This morning, I’m standing for election as the secretary of the association. No one else seemed willing to run, which means the job is very likely mine. I don’t regret it, but I’m not excited. I can do the job, but am I supposed to?
I have the same difficulty with the whole writing thing. Is that the direction I’m really supposed to go? Am I wasting time and money? It would be so nice to be able to see the end from the beginning… to not have to take a chance… to know I’m doing the right thing.
          But, God is able to see the end from the beginning. God knows the way I take. It might not be what I consider the right way, but He’s promised before that He won’t let me miss my “exit.” He will guide and direct me. So, as I launch myself into yet another volunteer position, His test for me is not whether or not I can take minutes. His test for me is whether or not I will leave Ur, get out of the boat, or otherwise trust Him that He has not left me.
          Some people see the “when I have been tested, I will come forth as gold” as arrogance, and it could be. It could also be Job’s confidence that the process through which God was taking him would result in his coming forth as gold because God was in control. He still is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...