Skip to main content

Kindness and Compassion


          Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 5:31-32)

           Some people think I’m a strong person. Some people think you’re a strong person. Some people think I’m a flaming idiot. Some think you’re a flaming idiot. The issue here isn’t whether I or you are actually strong or flaming idiots. We’re not talking about reality. We’re discussing perceptions. The reality is that we are both flaming idiots and strong. To the extent that we are perceived as being strong, we’re seen as not needing kindness (lending others your strength) or compassion (pity, assistance.) To the extent we’re seen as flaming idiots, we don’t deserve kindness (Oh, maybe a minimum of politeness, but not kindness) or compassion. If we don’t march in goose-step with someone else’s ideology, we don’t deserve to be treated like a human (let alone anything deemed superior to a human.)
          OK, by now, if you know me, you know where this is going. You’ve seen the memes… if you aren’t military personnel in the Middle East, braving temperatures above 100 F, if you have a roof over your head, or a job, or are in any way better off than anyone else on the planet, you don’t have a right to feel down, because somewhere in the world, someone has it worse. So you’re supposed to get over yourself and your bad perspective and stop seeking kindness or compassion from anyone because your sorry state isn’t sorry enough to meet the required depths of misery. Stop your crying or they’ll give you something to cry about!
          Right now, with a pandemic circling the globe in search of victims, a lot of us are feeling a little vulnerable. I’m not worried about getting sick or dying. My main stressors at the moment are old and familiar. I’m changing residences in a week. Am I going to be able to find a hotel? Food? Rest stops? When I get home, am I going to be able to find a job? Am I going to be able to effectively market my story? Am I going… notice something there? It’s all future tense. There’s nothing I can do about any of them right now. Even getting ready to leave has to be postponed to some extent. All I can do is think about it over and over and over. Anticipation is not only greater than reality, it’s a nasty task-master.
           This morning, it comes to mind that one of the reasons I do handicrafts is because it gives my mind something to focus on instead of the things in the future about which I can’t yet do anything. I also find myself thinking about people like Robin Williams who committed suicide. Often, people say of such individuals that they seemed so strong. What this tells me is that the strong need kindness and compassion just as much (perhaps more) than the weak.
          So, who are the “strong” people in your life? In this time of stress, they need prayer. Who are the “weak” people in your life? Right now, those whose health is not good (in general), those who are being treated for chronic diseases and illnesses, those who are 60 or older, those with lung problems (including asthma.) Other weak folks are those who live alone, those who don’t have a job, and those whose job involves people and their suffering (including medical personnel, pastors, social workers, city, township, county, state, and federal decision-makers.) They all need prayers, and they may need them more than those who are obviously “weak” do because they tend to be forgotten – the weak person’s weakness reminds us. The strong person’s strength lets prayer slip our minds.
          What to pray? Pray for their strength, endurance, hope and faith. Pray for wisdom, direction, and attitude! Pray that their unseen needs would be met. Ask them what their needs are – and don’t be put off by “I’m fine.” One of their needs is probably to be assured, or even convinced, that they matter, too. They need to be reminded (perhaps often!) that they are worthy of your kindness and compassion.
          As for me, I have five years’ experience with the “call of Abram.” I know my weakness right now is the anticipation of the unknown. The prayers I need are, as always, for wisdom, direction, and attitude – and for the completion of projects so that when I do leave here, it’s with a clean slate for the year, even if the things on the slate are busy-work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t