Skip to main content

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Blog


          I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. (Luke 12:4)

          David asked the men standing near him, “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?” (I Samuel 17:26)

           Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)

          “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me? (Jeremiah 32:27)

          For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?”
…“Go, assemble all the Jews who are found in Susa, and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maidens also will fast in the same way. And thus I will go in to the king, which is not according to the law; and if I perish, I perish.”  (Esther 4:14 & 16)

         But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; (Philippians 1:23)


          We interrupt our regularly scheduled discussion with this emergency message. There’s a nasty contagious disease out there by the name of Coronavirus. Yes, I know, you have to have been in Plato’s Cave for the past several weeks to have not heard about it. The Coronavirus is the most recent in a long line of diseases and crises that were going to kill us or destroy the world. Here’s a partial list:

Year
Disease/Crisis
1996
Mad Cow Disease
1999-2000
Y2K
2001
Anthrax
2002
 West Nile Virus
2003
SARS
2004
Bird Flu
2005
E. Coli
2009
Swine Flu
2010
BP Oil
21013-2019
Electromagnetic Pulse Attack
2014
Ebola
2015
Disney Measles
2016
Zika
2017-2020
Global Warming
2020
Coronavirus

          In addition to those, there have been scares dealing with gravity wells created by the alignment of the planets, about the Russians attacking us with nuclear bombs, about nuclear power plants exploding or leaking, about fracking, killer bees, fire ants, and even alien invasions.
         So let me begin with the obvious. Do not be stupid. If you or a family member is in weak health, has lung or immune system issues, take precautions. On the other hand, how many of the items listed above turned out to be far less a danger than we were told it would be? Don’t be stupid – take precautions. Don’t be stupid – don’t panic.
          But to the heart of the matter for us as Christians. What should our attitude be about this and other crises? From today’s passages, one of the first answers to this is to remember that God is in control and that He is God. Yes, it’s possible that you’ll die from the Coronavirus. It’s also possible that you’ll be struck by lightning, or by a drunk driver. You might die of a heart attack, a stroke, a complication of diabetes, Alzheimer’s, or a gunshot. The reality for most of us, most likely is that we’re going to die someday.  I’m not suggesting we should try to hurry the process, but let’s be real. Either you and I will die, or the Lord will return, period. 
          During the first centuries of the Church, when plagues broke out, the Christians were often blamed for them. In spite of the fact that Christians also died from these plagues, they were known to go into plague-ridden areas to help those who suffered.[1] In this, they were like David. When the other Israelites were shaking in their sandals about Goliath, David went out to face him in battle. The Coronavirus or any of these other crises may seem to be Goliaths. Should we not be Davids? Should we not be Esthers, with the attitude that we will do what we can to save our people, and if we perish, we perish?
         Again, I’m not saying to be foolish. Read the books of Daniel and Revelation. God has told us how things are going to end. Decide whether you believe He’s really in control, or not. Is the Coronavirus a greater god than God? If you don’t believe it is, then live that way!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t