Skip to main content

Reasons to Hope


I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” (Revelation 21:2-4)

          One of the things I’ve heard repeatedly with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic is the idea that when the virus finally goes away, and lockdown is lifted, that all pollution will be gone, global warming will no longer be a factor, everything will be fresh and new and we can (apparently instantaneously) build this whole new world based on the principles of the song Imagine
          One of the things I’ve heard repeatedly whenever a white man kills a black man is that “This has got to stop!” If we would just pass a law, and then fundamentally transform the nation (again a la Imagine) everything would heal. Those whose folly runs in a slightly different direction take the approach that if white folks would just stop being the brutish, oppressive monsters that they always have been and bow to the superiority of the Black folks, everything would be heaven on earth.
         The idea seems to be that some event is going to take place, and everything that has been wrong before will be right. There’s always just this one little problem that stops us from having heaven on earth, namely – man. Oh, we might say it’s man’s greediness, or man’s will to power, or man’s lust, or man’s fear, or some other thing that comes forth from man, but it’s human nature in all it’s simple complexity or complex simplicity. The hatred we’ve seen on social media – whether personal toward Mr. Floyd or impersonal (AKA Racism) toward a Black man – is fallen human nature. It’s folly to think some event (like protests, riots, or even a change in the law) is going to make it go away.         
          And yet we hope, and I think that hope is a good thing. The problem isn’t the hope, it’s that the hope is in the wrong noun, which means its bound to disappoint. We are given reason to hope in today’s passage. There will come a Person, and a place, and a time, and conditions under which every tear will be wiped away. There will be no more deaths, no more sickness, no more sorrow. It’s going to happen! 
             But, what will bring it about is not man. Man is crippled by his human nature. We try. We put together systems. If all those other horrid people would just get with the program. In fact, once of the goals of the Progressive ideology is to create a society in which it is systemically impossible for people to do evil. We try so hard, and we fail. And we think that the solution is to try harder. But we cannot change ourselves from being what we are. 
          Yes, we try to do that, and if we pour a lot of time, will, and energy into the transformation, it works – for a time. But it has to be the focus of our lives for the rest of our lives. (Yes, there are some light-switch moments, but not as many as we’d like.) 
          This is what makes Christianity different. It’s not about what we can do. It’s not about our building heaven on earth. It’s about Jesus Christ bringing heaven to us. So there’s reason to hope, but not in the hope we wanted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t