Skip to main content

Junk Food

 

May the Lord cause you to flourish, both you and your children. May you be blessed by the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 115:14-15)

          I’m trying to figure out ways to eat more healthfully but without having to choke down meal after meal of food that disgusts me. Yesterday, the recommendation I read was to eat an all-bran cereal for breakfast. There are other sources of fiber, of course, but my reaction was, “Oh, please, no.” I ate bran muffins on an almost daily basis for years, and the idea doesn’t appeal. I clearly need to do some research.

          But the point here is that blessings are not always pleasing, exciting, fun, flavorful, or appealing. Flourishing isn’t about getting what you want. It’s about getting what you need. Is it being blessed if you can have the house and car of your dreams, but don’t have the health to enjoy them? When it comes to blessing, we get things upside down.

          Decades ago, Dr. Maslow developed a hierarchy of needs. The first things that we need are physiological: breathing, food, water, sex, sleep, homeostasis, and excretion. The second is safety: security of body, of employment, or resources, of morality, of the family, of health, and of property. Third, he says we need love/belonging: friendship, family, sexual intimacy. Fourth is esteem: self-esteem, confidence, achievement, respect of others, respect by others. And last, he said we need self-actualization: morality, creativity, spontaneity, problem-solving, lack of prejudice, and acceptance of facts.

          I don’t think this hierarchy is correct. I haven’t worked out the details of what I believe is correct, but the most basic needs are spiritual. We need a relationship with God with all that it entails, salvation, sanctification, justification, reconciliation, etc. First and foremost, we need that which gives us eternal life, because without that, none of the rest matters.

          It may be that everything else can stay in the order he’s placed it. The question of the day is, how are we doing at meeting these needs? We go to church once a week, and maybe do a Bible study. Those are good things, but is that foundational level strong enough to hold everything else? If you could go to a spiritician (a spiritual physician) would he diagnose you as missing key nutrients, or of being spiritually obese and in need of exercise? Are you getting enough spiritual food? Enough spiritual water? Enough spiritual rest? Enough spiritual exercise? Enough spiritual life? Are we avoiding those things that will damage our spiritual health?

          Moving up from there, are we breathing right? Eating the right foods? Not eating the wrong foods? Getting enough water? Not drinking the stuff that’s bad for us? Is there enough fiber in our diet? That and water will go a long way toward making sure we excrete properly. Do we get enough sleep? Do we get enough healthy sex? (I suspect a lot of people settle for junk food in this area: porn (hard or soft), illicit relationships, imaginary relationships, hooking up, etc.)

          We tend to think we have this covered. We eat the meals we enjoy, and we groan at the idea of eating an all-bran cereal for breakfast. Our care for ourselves is automated, impulse-driven, and (to return to the theme above) oblivious to the blessings that God is bestowing. We’re not really seeking His best blessing, we’re seeking the blessing that “tastes good.”

          To try to change all of this is a huge, life-changing undertaking. At the moment, I’m trying to add a few good foods into my diet, hoping they will push out something that isn’t as good. I’m trying to drink a smoothie made of ½ c pomegranate juice and ½ cup mixed berries three days per week. The all-bran cereal may have to wait a bit. But I need to examine my spiritual health and see what not-so-fun blessings He’s given that I’m avoiding because the junk food tastes better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...