Skip to main content

Grumbling

            So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “What are we to drink?” (Exodus 15:24)

          You grumbled in your tents and said, “The Lord hates us; so he brought us out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us. (Deuteronomy 1:27)

Do everything without grumbling or arguing, (Philippians 2:14)

          According to the Cambridge Dictionary of English, grumble means “to complain about someone or something in an annoyed way.” Even with the few verses I’ve shared above, it seems pretty clear that God takes a dim view of grumbling. My immediate objections to the verse from Philippians are 1) Jesus argued and 2) we’re supposed to obey God rather than man. How do I reconcile these two with “do everything without grumbling or arguing”?

          Before we get to the answer to that, let’s look at what these verses suggest to us about grumbling. From the first two passages, I get the idea that grumbling tends to be done by people who aren’t in the presence of the subject. They didn’t grumble at Moses, they grumbled against Moses. They didn’t come to the tent of meeting to grumble at or to God. They grumbled against Him in their tents. It seems as if grumbling may be related to gossip. You grumble to one another or to oneself about someone else. You don’t deal with the problem. You don’t even tell the person you’re grumbling about that there is a problem. In other words, you separate yourself from the person or situation you’re grumbling about, and stew, and chew on your tongue about it, probably involving others (hence the gossip, and probably slander.)

          This partially answers how we are to do everything without grumbling. If we take our concerns and frustrations to the person involved and resolve the difficulty we won’t be grumbling. Might we be arguing? Yes, we could. But that depends on your definition of arguing. One definition is “give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.” Another is “exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.”

          I suspect that the “arguing” that is described is the equivalent of grumbling, only at the person in question. This sort of arguing is the monologue or dialogue that continues after the decision has been made and can include slamming doors and the silent treatment. Jesus never did anything like that.

          Another consideration from this passage is the word “everything.” We can’t do everything. We can’t drive two hundred miles while spending the day cleaning the house. We can’t do something we can’t do. I can’t perform brain surgery. We can’t always obey God and men at the same time. But, we can do everything that we choose or agree to do without grumbling or arguing.  

           One last snippet to consider. How much of the time do we spend arguing with ourselves as we do what we do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t