Skip to main content

If It Quacks Like A Duck

 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell. (Matthew 5:22) 

But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (Matthew 5:44)

“But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, (Luke 6:27) 

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. (Luke 6:35)

 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.  (I Corinthians 13:4-8a)

          I saw a comment yesterday in which someone who claims the name of Christ referred to someone as a moron. It’s not the first time, of course, and “moron” isn’t the only derogatory name used. When I objected, someone else told me, “If it quacks like a duck, it’s a duck.” I must point out that one of my favorite kinds of ducks doesn’t quack, but it’s still a duck.

          So, if it quacks like a duck, it’s a duck? According to what our scriptures today tell us, we are to love our enemies, do them good, and pray for them. If we call them names, we are answerable in court. These are things Jesus taught. So, when we call someone names, we’re not making the noises Christ told us to make, meaning we aren’t being Christian.

          If we are to love our enemies, that means we need to put the name of that enemy in the following adaptation of I Corinthians 13:4-8a I am patient with (name of enemy), I am kind to (name of enemy), I do not envy (name of enemy). I do not boast to (name of enemy) or about my superiority to (name of enemy). I am not proud around (name of enemy). I do not dishonor (name of enemy). I am not self-seeking in my treatment of (name of enemy). I am not easily angered at/with (name of enemy). I keep no record of (name of enemy)’s wrongs. I do not delight in evil befalling (name of enemy) but rejoice with the truth. I always protect (name of enemy), always trust (name of enemy), always hope for (name of enemy), always persevere on (name of enemy)’s behalf. I never fail (name of enemy).

          Reading the paragraph above with someone’s name in there would be difficult. If nothing else, how do you trust someone who means you ill or seeks to profit at your expense? You can trust them to mean you ill or seek to profit at your expense, and you can trust that God is just as in control as He was when Jesus was arrested, tried, and executed.

          Draw your own conclusion. If it quacks like a duck, it’s a duck – except for Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, who don’t quack like ducks even though they’re ducks. If you don’t make the sort of noises Christ made, should we call you a Christian? I know “nobody’s perfect.” I’m not talking about perfection. I am suggesting that there’s a goal for which we should aim.

          There’s a meme that was going around a couple months ago, about our being Americans, and that we needed to start acting like it. It’s the same with Christians. If we are Christians, we need to start acting like it, and sounding like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t