Skip to main content

Noisy Gongs

             If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. (I Corinthians 13:1-3)

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. (Matthew 6:2)

The I Corinthians passage was the verse of the day online, and my thoughts went in three directions. The first is the subject of virtue signaling. We see a lot of it in the world. After Mr. Trump was elected, there were people who wore safety pins on their clothing, to announce to the universe that they were “safe” to talk to. I’ve also encountered writers who have to include every possible culture, skin color, sexual orientation, etc. in their stories to show how devoted to diversity they are.  There are also folks who seem to have to share the “if you’re not ashamed of Christ” memes, to prove how good a Christian they are. It’s one of those human nature things. We all do it sometimes, but some folks do it a lot.

The second direction my mind goes is to the fact that for many years, I refused to wear a cross or put a fish symbol on my car because if my behavior wasn’t perfect, I’d embarrass or disgrace God. He confronted me about my thinking He was so pitiful that He couldn’t survive my embarrassing Him.

The third direction is my seeming inability to not tell people what I’m doing. I say I’d rather be invisible or do things at night, so people won’t know (not possible) but then I tell people who don’t know and have nothing to do with it. Sometimes it’s to give people ideas or “raise awareness” – or so I claim (even to myself.) But is it?

What other people are doing is really between them and God, but at the same time, is it loving of us to condemn them to the clanging gong or to the temporal treasure? If we are not to teach one another this principle, why is it included in Scripture? If we care about others, we do need to teach this, but first, we need to teach it to ourselves. That means we need to take the things we are doing to God and ask Him to reveal our motives to us, or to ask Him to convict us whenever we move into the clanging gong or temporal reward zones and keep in mind that it’s also possible that God will call on us to be a noisy gong if that suits his purposes. After all, a noisy gong is pretty good at calling people to dinner or letting everyone know there’s a problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t