Skip to main content

Foundation

          What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us. (II Timothy 1:13-14)

When the going gets tough, some people are tempted to try new things. The idea is that if you throw enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick. The problem is that whether it sticks or not, you end up with a mess to clean up. Other people cling to the way we’ve always done it. There are benefits to both when they are approached with wisdom and not as knee-jerk reactions.

In today’s passage, Paul seems to place himself firmly in the “the way we’ve always done it” group but reaching that conclusion would require that we ignore what he taught as a whole. Instead, what Paul writes about is the foundation on which to build. When the going gets tough, the wise don’t decide to try building a world in which 2+2 suddenly equals 5 (in spite of foolish claims that 2+2=4 is racist!) When the going gets tough, it’s not the time to reinvent the wheel. It may be time to dig down through the mud and junk we’ve piled on top of the foundation, but the foundation remains.

In the Hunger Games series, there is a point at which Katniss is so traumatized that she curls up in a ball and repeats her name and age. Those were the things about which she was certain. They were what she was able to hold on to. What Paul is telling us in today’s passage is that we need to hold on to just a little more than that. God is God. He created the universe. He sent His Son to save us from our sins. He rose from the dead. We are now new creations with a new name: Christian, son or daughter of the Most High God. He has called us to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love our neighbors as ourselves.

That might seem a lot to remind ourselves. Perhaps another way to say it, when we can manage no more is to tell ourselves “Christ is risen” when we hold on to that piece the of the foundation, we’ll have hold of the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t