Skip to main content

One and...

           I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” (John 10:28-30)

          When the going gets tough, it helps to remember. First, we should remember that we have eternal life. We’re all nearsighted. We can see what’s an inch from our noses pretty well, but that splash of light at the other end of the examining room, the one with the dark blur in the center of the top? Yeah, we know the dark blur is an E (for eternity, in this case.) We know it because it’s always an E, but we can’t see it. It’s always been an E before, so we have faith that it’s still an E.

          That eternal life was given to us by Jesus, and in this passage, Jesus is telling the Father that He has give it to us, and what the result will be: they will never perish. Are we going to say that Jesus was lying to the Father? Or that He was deluding Himself?

          The second thing Jesus tells the Father is that no one will snatch them out of His hand. Later, He says that they are in His Father’s hand as well. Imagine the Father and the Son standing with the Son’s hands cupped around us, and the Father’s hands cupped around the Son’s. To take them, someone would have to force first the Father’s hands open, then the Son’s.

          Does this mean I understand what is going on with those who professed to be Christians for a time and turn away for some reason?  I’m not sure they’re really so easily clumped into a unified whole. But what it does tell us is that we don’t have to worry about Jesus losing us. We also don’t need to worry about Jesus saying, “I pick this one” and the Father saying, “No.” The unity of the Father and the Son may be a mystery in one sense, but on this matter, it is easy to understand it this far… that both the Father and the Son are firmly agreed on who is theirs, and firmly set on protecting those who are theirs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t