Skip to main content

Matter?

             Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. (I Corinthians 9:24)

 

            We’re almost there. Some people will spend this weekend celebrating having made it through 2022, and that is an accomplishment. Others will spend it celebrating the beginning of 2023. That’s not a bad thing. But if you were going to meet someone important the next morning, would you really stay up until midnight? If something really mattered the next day, would you party?

            I’m not suggesting that you shouldn’t greet the new year. This isn’t about giving you a case of guilts. But I’m inviting us both to think. How well would a runner do if he spent the six weeks before a race not running and eating enough for two people? Obviously, not nearly as well as he would if he followed a strict training schedule and diet. For the athlete, training and diet matter.

            How often do we, who are not athletes, take the approach that what we do doesn’t matter? We may recognize that it matters in the long run, but how often does this time not matter? Certainly, everyone needs a “treat” once in a while, but how often do we decide it doesn’t matter and treat ourselves every time. To make it worse, how often do we say something doesn’t matter, and when we’re done, it turns out to have mattered so little to us that we didn’t enjoy it?

            I’m also not talking about treating ourselves as if we are the only thing that matters in the universe. But if something matters to you, how do you treat it?

           Sometimes, we know what matters in our lives. We have to work to pay the bills, we’ve had a health scare so we’re eating carefully, etc. But my challenge to both of us is to start out 2023 by choosing to make something matter. It might be one thing for the whole year, or it could be a day-to-day thing. But what matters do you? What does the fact that you matter to God mean to you? What can you do in 2023 that will matter? What can you do tomorrow that will matter? Even if it’s as little as picking up litter or smiling at someone on the street – treat it as if it matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t