Skip to main content

This Is The Way

             Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” (Isaiah 30:21)

 

            Today is one of those minor revelation days. For the past three years (or more) I have been procrastinating getting business cards to hand out as a writer. Part of the reason for my using a pseudonym was so that I could be invisible. Another part (I think) was so that I could distance my writing from me. “I didn’t write that. Allyn Ransom wrote it.” That was safe in two ways – if you don’t like me, I’m not the one who wrote the books, so you can like them. If you don’t like the books, I’m not the one who wrote them so you can like me. There’s logic there.

Another reason I didn’t get proper author’s business cards is that I don’t like the way I look. I look fat, ugly, old, stupid, tired – and very unauthorly. A fourth reason was that I’ve had the conviction that to sell my books or myself is arrogant, selfish, and otherwise bad. If you asked me to sell your books, I could do so with a clear conscience, but mine? That’s another matter. To me, it’s saying, “Look how great I am! You should reward me for being so magnificent.”

But I took pictures of myself on Sunday night and placed an order for business cards the same night. They’re on their way, and I’ve already set the goal of getting rid of them as quickly as possible because I’m sure I’ll hate them. I can get another, hopefully, better batch by handing them out.

What does this have to do with God showing us the way and telling us to walk in it? It fits today’s chosen verse because what I have gone through is an example of how God works. As I said, it’s a revelation day. Over the past three years, I have been weeding in my community. While some people discover this because they see me doing it. Others learn from neighbors. I told people I was doing it the first year I did it, and they could pay me if they wanted. The second year, I said, I’ll do it if you pay me, and what you pay me is up to you. This year, I announced that I would do it for $X/hour. 

What does any of this have to do with today’s passage? If it had not been for my father’s illness, I would never have come to Florida and might never have seriously gotten back into writing. If I had not come here after he died, during a COVID epidemic that made it impossible for Canadians to join me, I probably would never have started weeding (and  you can pay me if you want), which means I would never have weeded (if you pay me.) And if I had never weeded if you paid me, I would never have offered my services this year at $X/hour.

And as I whined this morning about how I’ve finally ordered business cards and how impossible it is that I can “advertise myself” in that way, God cleared His throat and pointed back to the announcement I made that I could weed for $X/hour. Somehow, that wasn’t so terrible. Sometimes, He guides us to walk in a way without telling us, “This is the way; walk in it” until after we’ve been on the road for a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t