Skip to main content

Barley

             Now Naomi had a relative on her husband’s side, a man of standing from the clan of Elimelek, whose name was Boaz.

And Ruth the Moabite said to Naomi, “Let me go to the fields and pick up the leftover grain behind anyone in whose eyes I find favor.”

Naomi said to her, “Go ahead, my daughter.” So she went out, entered a field and began to glean behind the harvesters. As it turned out, she was working in a field belonging to Boaz, who was from the clan of Elimelek.

 Just then Boaz arrived from Bethlehem and greeted the harvesters, “The Lord be with you!”

“The Lord bless you!” they answered.

 Boaz asked the overseer of his harvesters, “Who does that young woman belong to?”

The overseer replied, “She is the Moabite who came back from Moab with Naomi. She said, ‘Please let me glean and gather among the sheaves behind the harvesters.’ She came into the field and has remained here from morning till now, except for a short rest in the shelter.” (Ruth 2:1-7)

 

Chapter one was the prologue. It’s what you needed to know to set the scene for the actual story. The chapter ends with them reaching home and finding themselves in a bit of a pickle. They don’t have money. They don’t have property. Relatives or friends or Naomi’s probably made room for them in their homes, but they’re that close to being homeless, and Naomi seems to be stuck in her bitterness.

Ruth obeys the etiquette of the time and asks Naomi’s permission to go do what needs to be done. She does what poor people did by following the harvesters and gleaning what they happened to have missed. Now, since they went to Naomi and Elimelek’s hometown, it’s not too surprising that she would find herself in a field of someone related to one of them. The texts says that it was a fiend belonging to Boaz, so it’s not unreasonable to conclude he had more than one, making it more likely that she would stumble across one of them in her gleaning. Since there are harvesters there, we can guess that it wasn’t of a size that Boaz could have harvested by himself or even with a couple friends or relatives, and it makes sense that Ruth would glean in bigger fields because those who have small fields are more likely to feel the loss of her gleanings. This wasn’t really a one-in-a-million thing. Maybe closer to one in a hundred.

That morning, Ruth had identified herself to the harvesters and asked permission to glean, and had spent the whole day working. Now, according to what I found on the internet, one cup of barley grain will make 1 1/3 cups of barley flour. That’s just a 1/3 of a cup more than is generally needed for two people for one meal, and barley isn’t big. It’s not like picking two apples and having a meal for two people. 


 

Gleaning all day may have provided enough food for a couple of days or perhaps enough to sell some to help pay other expenses, but not enough for them to live on for long.

It’s not unusual for us to ask someone, “Are you a Mary or a Martha?” But we can also ask, “Are you a Naomi or a Ruth?” Granted, Ruth may have been forty, or she might have had some physical infirmity we’re not told. Maybe the culture thought that one person gleaning for a family was enough. There might have been reasons why Naomi didn’t glean, too, but I suspect that she was caught in the gravity wells of depression and bitterness and being torn apart by them. Or, given what we’ve read about her previously, she might have been a comparatively passive person, not putting forth her will in much. Keep in mind that she was known as being sweet, not industrious.

On the other hand, Ruth was a proactive person. They needed food and money, so she went out to get some. Everything that happened was because of Ruth’s humility and her willingness to work hard. Still, the thing to notice most is that it’s because of Ruth’s attitude and behavior that Naomi’s bitterness will ease.

Sadly, I think I tend to be more of a Naomi. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t