Skip to main content

Blessings

             “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8)

 

          It’s the day after the first art and craft sale I ever administered. It’s also the day after the first art and craft sale in which I’ve ever participated as a crafter. It will not be the last. I’ve already asked for a Saturday next January. The sale (and I) received great reviews, and some criticism that needs to be considered. But the passage above was suggested by Biblegateway.com, so I’m considering the whole art/craft sale thing as a case study.

          My selfish reasons for wanting the art and craft sale were so that I could learn to market my books better, so that I would have a chance to sell my books, and to use the proceeds not associated with my books to expand my garden, allowing me to raise more food for myself, for my neighbor(s), and for the food pantry associated with my church. Those were what I was asking for and seeking.

          Spiritually, I’m not sure I was seeking much, but I was well aware that it could strengthen my faith and my connection with other people in the park but I wasn’t going into it with those blessings in mind and I know better than to try to analyze whether my faith is stronger. That’s just not a direction it does me good to go.

          So, the asking, seeking, and knocking began a year ago, when I suggested it to the association board. They gave me a green light. I started talking about it and found some people who said they’d help. I spent the summer crocheting dish clothes and hot pan pads and macrameing produce bags and plant hangers – and I’m not saying that I worked on them here and there when I felt like it. I kept busy with them.

          When I came back to Florida, I added other products. I ended up finding and painting cardboard to make signs. By the time I got them stenciled, I was getting frustrated. I asked for help and got it. When it came time to set up the clubhouse, I asked for help, and got it. Someone helped me solve the problem of traffic flow. The set up was basically done and crafters were setting up their tables during the last 2 hour period I expected to use to just get the clubhouse ready.

          I got up late on the morning of the sale, but we “opened” early and the first several hours were fairly active. People bailed before they should have, but as a result, the clubhouse was returned to normal by the time the sale was supposed to be ending. As I said, we got basically good reviews.

          I sold more books at the sale than I have sold since they were published. That’s not a lot of books, but it’s a positive. And I think I may have made enough money to cover the cost of seeds and plants. The product I have left over, I can sell another time. Yes, making the stuff I sold took time and money, and maybe ultimately, I’ve spent more on the supplies than I made. That’s very possible.

          The blessings I sought were to learn to sell my books and to come up with money to fund my garden. I have done those things, at least a little. It involved a process in which I had to participate. It took hard work and frustration. It involved a year of my life. So often, we think that a blessing is something we ask for that then just happens. If we put effort into it, we’re interfering with the blessing. After all, we don’t want to be like Abram and Sarai, who decided to help God fulfill His promise to bless them by adding Hagar to the equation.

          My three takeaways from the past several days in connection with today’s passage are:

1)   The blessing may be “spiritual” or it may not be. Requests for nonspiritual blessings aren’t immediately rejected. They may well be granted and I’m not the exception to that rule.

2)   The blessings we’re seeking may not happen immediately or miraculousy. We may be involved in the hard process of making them a reality.

3)   Requests for blessings may not be granted immediately. They could be years away. That doesn’t mean they’re not being granted. This one involved a year after the idea came to mind.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t