Skip to main content

Going Home

             When Naomi heard in Moab that the Lord had come to the aid of his people by providing food for them, she and her daughters-in-law prepared to return home from there. With her two daughters-in-law she left the place where she had been living and set out on the road that would take them back to the land of Judah. (Ruth 1:6-7)

             “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!  I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’  So he got up and went to his father. (Luke 15:17-18)

            The book of Ruth is set in the time of the Judges when Israel would turn away from God, be subjected to foreigners, and return to God. Ruth’s story parallels that process. Her family moved away from God and were subject to foreigners, and in today’s passage, she returns to God. Another parallel is the parable of the prodigal son. I’m not suggesting that Ruth didn’t happen, just that individuals and groups can and do follow similar patterns. The nice thing about that is that we can learn from their experiences and apply what we learn when we find ourselves in the same pattern.

            Today’s passage says that Ruth heard that there was food in Israel. There are several possibilities here. It could be that the famine had lasted ten years and was just ending, that no one happened to report to Ruth that there was food in Israel earlier, or that until she lost her husband and sons, she was content to stay in Moab even if there was food in Israel. As with the prodigal son, it wasn’t until things got bad where she was that her thoughts turned to the possibility of things being better at home.

            The key here isn’t home in the physical sense. We can be just as stuck at home when God calls us to leave it. I remained at a church until God orchestrated events so that I had to leave. I have stayed in jobs where I was miserable because I was convinced nowhere else would be any better or that any better place would see that I’d worked in that previous place and want nothing to do with me. The “home” involved in Israel, Ruth, The Prodigal Son, and in our lives is, first and foremost, God, and the first step in the process is to recognize that things could be better and that we may not be as stuck as we think we are. In fact, our being stuck may be God’s way of telling us it’s time to move, and when we move, the direction we need to go is toward home, which is toward God.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t