Skip to main content

Wait

             but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:31)

 

            Tonight, I need this passage to be true. Yes, “tonight.” None of the verses or passages I’ve looked at since this morning have inspired me, and it’s almost time for me to work on my story. I had a short but very long day at work because I’m tired. I’m not the only one. I’ve heard several complaints. I’ve folded more than 1250 boxes since last Monday, and it wasn’t because there wasn’t anything to do. We’ve gone through lots of boxes. I’m weary.

            I read through several translations and paraphrases of this verse. In some (like the NIV above), it sounds as if the one who hopes in the Lord will do what is necessary to regain their strength. In others, it seems more as if their strength will be renewed by God. In some, they have to hope in the Lord. In others, they have to wait for the Lord to act. I suspect the reality is that in both cases, it’s both. We have to act, and God has to act. We have to wait and hope.

            One of the hard things about today is that yesterday was wonderfully productive. This week has been productive. But that productivity has prices. One is weariness. Another is the letdown when the next day doesn’t match or exceed the productive day. Perhaps that’s something we should note about weariness. It’s not just tiredness. There’s a sense of disappointment. We’re not living up to our expectations. Trying harder just isn’t doing it. Sleep doesn’t really fix it. I don’t find anything online that agrees with me but I suspect that weariness, especially prolonged weariness, is a symptom of burnout unless one learns to wait.

            According to one source, “burnout” involves spinning your tires and going nowhere – but creating the sort of friction that can destroy those tires. That’s sort of what happens if we don’t wait. If we keep trying to do everything without waiting for God, we’re spinning our wheels. I didn’t invent the metaphor, but it works.  If we do it hard enough or for long enough, we’ll be unable to move because our tires will be tattered. And then we’ll have no choice but to wait until God gives us the mental and physical health we have lost.

            I suspect it’s better if we wait by choice than by necessity.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t