Skip to main content

If The Lord Had Not Been...

             If the Lord had not been on our side—   let Israel say--  if the Lord had not been on our side when people attacked us, they would have swallowed us alive when their anger flared against us; the flood would have engulfed us, the torrent would have swept over us, the raging waters would have swept us away. Praise be to the Lord, who has not let us be torn by their teeth. We have escaped like a bird from the fowler’s snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 124)


“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

 

          There are many verses I could quote that suggest that when one becomes a Christian, all one’s problems disappear. We get everything we ask for, and God sends His angels to protect us. So, if trials and danger come our way, that must be a sign that there’s something wrong with our Christianity—or with God.

          But Scripture never claims there will be no difficulties. Today’s passage doesn’t tell us that if God had not been on their side, bad stuff would have happened. It tells us that if He hadn’t been on their side, the worst possible thing would have happened: Israel would have been destroyed. This brings Job to mind and reinforces the idea that bad things don’t just happen to bad people. It doesn’t mean that God is angry with us when something bad happens.

          Even though we may know this, we’re still tempted to blame God or ourselves when things go wrong instead of praising Him when things go wrong because they haven’t gone as wrong as they could. And they don’t go as wrong as they could because God walks through them with us and protects us from the worst.

          That brings us back to why God allows and/or causes hard things in our lives. I don’t believe there’s one answer, even if we narrow it down to a specific instance. Sometimes, it’s to teach us something or correct an error in our lives. Sometimes, it’s to show us grace or to give us the means to give grace to others. Other times, it’s to build strength in us, or to reveal Himself to us. It might even be to introduce us to someone who might help us, or whom we might help. But whatever the reason, when we’re under attack, we need Him more than ever, and He will save us from the worst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...