Skip to main content

Out of the Depths

 Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice!

Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.

 If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered.

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word.
My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning;
Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning.
Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds
. (Psalm 130)

 

          I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve taught me that I’m weak and don’t handle stress at all well. I am, in other words, a failure.

          Today’s psalm touches on that, too. If God were to look at me the way I look at myself, or even realistically, I’d be a goner, and so would everyone else. But somehow, God forgives. He steps in and offers grace when we’ve screwed up; not once, not twice, but seemingly without number. That means that when the bottom drops out of our lives, we can still have hope that God will forgive and give mercy and redemption.

          And hope is the discipleship concept. But how do we build hope when it all falls apart? I suspect that few of us react by saying, “Oh well, no big deal, God will handle it.” More often, we react like Chicken Little: “The sky is falling!” That’s what the psalmist does. After that, he settles down to wait and with the waiting, he hopes.

          Unless we have an idea - even an exaggerated idea - about things being bad, we have no need to turn to God for help, or to wait. If the bottom never falls out of our lives, we’ll never learn to move beyond Chicken Little to waiting, and therefore to hope.

Comments

  1. So many times in our lives we feel like complete failures. Thank God we have a God who is forgiving and merciful and does not remember our sin . The hardest thing we have to do is forgivig ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...