Skip to main content

The Heaven We Create

             Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. (Colossians 3:5)

 

            No pun intended, but it may seem as though I’m beating a dead horse. Today’s chapter in Journey of Desire seems to cover the same material. We need to have dreams. We’re supposed to have desires. But God keeps interfering. John Eldridge talks about five years in which he tried to go fly fishing. The first year, there was a blizzard. The second year, thunderstorms ruined the fishing. Someone opened the dam the third year, and again ruined the fishing. Drought hit the fourth year and the fifth, the fish just didn’t bite. Later, as he drove by a piece of property, he thought, “I could really be happy here without God.” (p. 100.) That’s when he realized the problem. As he put it, “God must take away the heaven we create, or it will become our hell.”

            That sentence sums up what he’s been circling, and it almost stunned me. This is what I said yesterday, but better than I said it.  And we know that the heaven He creates is so much better than the one we create. He has promised us heaven, but not necessarily the heaven we think. Sometimes our dreams need tempering or maturity. Sometimes we need to mature or be tempered. Sometimes, someone or something else needs to be tempered or matured.

 We’ve seen it in Scripture. Abraham was called to sacrifice Isaac, the son who was promised to him. Joseph spent decades in Egypt as a slave. The Israelites were promised a land flowing with milk and honey but spent forty years wandering in the wilderness. David was promised a throne but spent years hiding from Saul. Israel is still waiting for their Messiah. We are waiting for His return. There are dreams I had when I was young that I am peeking at from behind bushes and trees. I understand much better now what is needed to realize them, and I know I am unequal to the task, but I don’t know for sure that the dreams are not from the earthly nature that we are to put to death. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...