Skip to main content

Fellowship

             May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (II Corinthians 13:14)

I don’t know if this is the earliest clear statement of the Trinity or not, but here it is. And what I find amusing is that Paul referred to all three members of the Godhead (who are one even though we can’t understand it) and three separate blessings that are equally one. Grace, the giving of what is not deserved; love, the giving of self and commitment to the well-being of the beloved; and fellowship, or friendly association are all expressions of love.

My immediate reaction to the three expressions of love isn’t entirely positive. There’s a part of me that doesn’t want grace. I want to have earned what I get. Notice the tense in that sentence. I don’t want to continue to pay the price. Yes, I want love, on my terms. And that’s what the cross is about, at least in part. God gave us love on our terms. We just figured we’d get our way and everything would go along cheerily. But someone had to die.

Of the three, I think the one that bothers me most is the fellowship of the Holy Spirit. Fellowship means interruption. It requires that we pay attention to someone other than ourselves or something other than our current projects. And that might not be so bad with the Holy Spirit if He answered on our terms. We ask a question or make a request and within ten seconds, we get the answer we wanted. Or at least we get a clear answer. The Holy Spirit might hang out with us for twenty-five years, then say, “Oh, yeah, Abram, remember when I promised you a child? Well…” Or after more than 400 years, “Oh yeah, Moses, remember when I promised the Israelites that they would return to the Promised Land? Well…” Or, He might sit on the couch, put His elbows on His knees and say, “We’ve got to talk…” He never seems to stop by to ask what color the sunset should be tonight, or whether we think our team is going to the championship this year. We’d prefer that.

Too often, we think the solution is for God to be more like us. The real solution is for us to let God be Who He is, and for us to become more like Him, even it that means waiting for answers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...