Skip to main content

A....A....

             Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (Philippians 4:6)

It has been a tough few days. Wednesday night, my “good” knee became my “bad” knee in a melodramatic incident. I handled the emergency fairly well, I think, but it’s taken several days to my knee to recover to the point that it has, which isn’t quite where I’d like it. I had downs and ups about an assigned article and my story, but I thought I was doing better. On Sunday morning, my pastor preached a great sermon about hope. Then I came home, and things slowly failed to be as productive as I wanted. It doesn’t help that I started into a process online that just can’t be simple. No great surprise, really. But by bedtime, I had spiraled down into anxiety. No great surprise, really.

I prayed. I whined. I screamed in silence. And this morning I got up with my usual “Help me, Lord.” And that’s OK. Then my desk top computer decided I didn’t exist. All my files, gone. I finally rebooted, and we seem to be back. I went outside and cleaned off my truck and shoveled some snow. That used some energy, so it’s good, but my knees are starting to whisper behind my back.

It will all be fine. God’s still in control and I’m glad of it. But so far, only the snow removal has helped against the anxiety, which tends to have a life of its own, sort of like my knees!

Today’s verse is one we need to return to, probably a few times per day. Every day. It doesn’t say, “Don’t let anxiety show up at your door.” Anxiety, like anger, can tell us something is wrong, and can give us energy to do something about the situation. But just because it’s knocking at the door doesn’t mean we have to answer, let in, or cooperate with it. But, we need to remember that it’s a battle. Anxiety steals, kills, and destroys if given a chance. It attacks our weakest points. In that, it does us the favor of identifying problems and weak places. It attacks us rather than the problem. And we tend to help it.

So what do we do when anxiety is slamming its battle ax and two-ton ram into the gates and doors of our life? We’re told to pray and give thanks in every situation. Not for every situation though that may be included. When Corrie Ten Boom and her sister were in a concentration camp, Elizabeth helped Corrie learn to give thanks in all circumstances. Corrie couldn’t be thankful for the fleas and lice that infested all the bunks in the women’s “dorm.” But Elizabeth pointed out that because the German guards didn’t want to be infested, they gave more freedom to the prisoners in the dorms than anywhere else in the camp.

I can’t see a blessing in having arthritis, yet. The things I ran away from last night remain to be done. But I did pray. I’m listening to and singing along with Christmas music. I have turned my attention away from the crises, and done what I could with what I have, where I am now. I’ve made progress on little things that I can handle. All these diminish the power and threat of anxiety. And, I have a nice long list of requests that got presented to God. That turns my eyes away from the anxiety, and toward catching sight of the answers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...