Skip to main content

Braches or Sticks In The Mud


 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples (John 15:5-8)
 
        When I got home this spring, one of the things waiting for me was a yard full of branches that had fallen out of our birch tree. I collected the biggest ones and threw them in the garbage. I also filled a garbage can with pine needles and pine cones that formed small drifts on the driveway. They aren't the grape vine branches that Jesus was talking about, but they served the same function. Since they aren't attached to the birch tree any more the most they could do is rot and fertilize the ground, but in the meanwhile they would look terrible and trip people or damage my lawn mower. I'm not sure anyone crafty could have come up with something to do with them. For the most part, they weren't good enough to use anyway.
           I don't know whether this big reveal is big because of what it reveals about Jesus, or because of what it reveals about humanity. Jesus tells us that our function is to be connected to Him, and to function based on that relationship (bear fruit.) A branch that is not connected to its vine (or tree) is dead. There is a chance that someone crafty might find a use for it, but chances are better that it will be thrown in the garbage or used as kindling.
          So it is with people. We are designed to be connected to Jesus. If we are broken away, we die. So many people today think that they can live life on their own, disconnected from this God, or any god. They think somehow they can absorb everything they need from the air around them or that they contain within themselves everything they need. They are like branches that have cut themselves off from the vine (tree) and landed on the sidewalk. They think it worth the risk. If they land just right, they might take root and be nourished directly from the soil (universe) but instead, they find themselves in the garbage.
       They blame the gardener. If he had only planted them instead of throwing them out. They forget that they were already planted. That plant was good enough for the gardener, even if it wasn't for them. They were meant to be part of a magnificent vine or tree, but fell away and became compost or garbage because they insisted on being the trunk instead of the branch.
          Of course, if they did manage to take root, what sort of tree would they have been? They dreamed of being independent, and equal to or greater than the tree from which they broke away. Instead, they would always be a lesser reflection, a derivation of the original, misshapen in whatever ways they rejected of the nature of the original,  and always with some of that original tree/vine to contaminate the new trunk. Breakaway philosophies, religions and lives are often like that. They claim to be "just like" the original, "only better" and the so-called improvements are the  deformities everyone else sees. As it grows, its branches, too, fall away, hoping to form their own trees, with their own improvements further deforming the trees. Instead of magnificent evolution into better, if they are able to take root at all, they follow the law of entropy. They devolve, become simpler, less-organized, weaker - mere shadows of the original, but still holding on to the delusion of being its equal when they are nothing more than sticks in the mud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t