Skip to main content

Will-o'-the-Wisps of the Mind


“Who are you?” they asked.

            “Just what I have been claiming all along,” Jesus replied. “I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world.”  So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be[1]  and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.” (John 8:25-29) 

               If you take a good personality type test, or if you are ever questioned in any depth by the police, you discover that they ask the same basic questions over and over in different ways. It's their job to try to get at the truth. Sometimes that involves uncovering the lies that we're telling them. Sometimes that involves uncovering the lies that we tell ourselves. The Pharisees were doing their job: trying to find inconsistencies in Jesus' story. In a way, I can't blame them for asking the same question over and over. At the same time, I can't help but think of a paraphrase of a well-known question: "What part of 'I AM' did you not understand the first,...second,...tenth time?" I also can't help but think of a pop-psychology definition of insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
          Of course, when we are the ones who keep asking the same question, it's a little different, isn't it? It was the Pharisee's job to doubt. It was also their nature, and it is our nature. The answer Jesus gives is the right answer for them, and for us. When we exalt (lift up) Jesus, we will know. When it becomes about His glory and not ours, then we will know. It was when they had Him crucified, just as He'd foretold, that they would know. It was when He didn't stay dead that they would know. There are many who say, "Show me God and then I'll believe," or "Show me a miracle and then I'll never doubt again." The truth is that the Jews had all the plagues on Egypt and the crossing of the Red Sea, and God on the mountain within sight of camp when they made the golden calf. The Pharisees had the Torah with all the prophecies, and all Jesus' miracles and still they rejected. Our doubt is not about the quality or quantity of the evidence. It's about our fallen human nature.
       When we doubt, then, our response should be twofold. First, we should lift up Jesus. Secondly, we should analyze the doubt. Is it a real question that can be investigated, or is it just human nature expressing itself? If it's a real question, then we should investigate the answer to the best of our ability. That's what they teach on shows like CSI. You follow the evidence. You go where the evidence leads even if it doesn't make sense, because eventually, it will. That's what the Pharisees refused to do. Instead, they followed their feelings of doubt. Logic and answers couldn't reduce or eliminate it.
       The doubts that are our fallen human nature tend to be amorphous anxiety - negative emotions tied to will-o'-the-wisps of the mind (AKA brain fog.) If we focus on it, we exalt it and we wander endlessly. If we follow the evidence, if we exalt what the evidence shows, then we will overcome the doubt.



[1]  The phrase in the brackets is not included in the Greek manuscripts of this text. They were inserted in order to help us understand what the Greek expresses. I think it's more powerful without it. "“When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t