Skip to main content

Go-Fer


        Three days after they made the treaty with the Gibeonites, the Israelites heard that they were neighbors, living near them. So the Israelites set out and on the third day came to their cities: Gibeon, Kephirah, Beeroth and Kiriath Jearim. But the Israelites did not attack them, because the leaders of the assembly had sworn an oath to them by the LORD, the God of Israel. The whole assembly grumbled against the leaders, but all the leaders answered, “We have given them our oath by the LORD, the God of Israel, and we cannot touch them now. This is what we will do to them: We will let them live, so that wrath will not fall on us for breaking the oath we swore to them.” They continued, “Let them live, but let them be woodcutters and water carriers for the entire community.” So the leaders’ promise to them was kept. 
           Then Joshua summoned the Gibeonites and said, “Why did you deceive us by saying, ‘We live a long way from you,’ while actually you live near us? You are now under a curse: You will never cease to serve as woodcutters and water carriers for the house of my God.”
                They answered Joshua, “Your servants were clearly told how the LORD your God had commanded his servant Moses to give you the whole land and to wipe out all its inhabitants from before you. So we feared for our lives because of you, and that is why we did this. We are now in your hands. Do to us whatever seems good and right to you.”
               So Joshua saved them from the Israelites, and they did not kill them. That day he made the Gibeonites woodcutters and water carriers for the community and for the altar of the LORD at the place the LORD would choose. And that is what they are to this day. (Joshua 9:16ff)

          About the time the Gibeonite delegation was reporting to their people that they were safe, the Israelites discovered that they'd been tricked into doing something God told them not to do. Did Israel offer up the offerings for inadvertent sin? No, Israel got mad. The people got mad at the leaders for doing something stupid. The leaders got mad at the Gibeonites for tricking them. 
          Again, I find myself wondering what would have happened if the Gibeonites had been honest. Possibly, Joshua and the leaders might have said, "Nope. God told us not to make treaties with you and to wipe you out." Possibly Joshua and the leaders might have said, "Let us ask God about it and get back to you." Possibly, they might have still said, "OK." Later generations did that.
          Joshua's solution was to enslave them. He said he was cursing them to serve as woodcutters and water carriers for the community and for the altar of the Lord. There is apparently some question as to what exactly this curse meant. They may have been Go-Fers for everyone, but at least some of them were "cursed" to server as Go-Fers serving in the Tabernacle and Temple. It seems odd that Joshua, who stood outside the tent of the meeting after Moses had gone home, would consider serving at the tabernacle to be a curse.
          At the same time, don't we do somewhat the same thing. Being the head pastor is an honor (if we don't think about the details of the job.) Being another sort of pastor is a little less of an honor. Being a paid custodian, well, it's a job in a nice place. Being part of the volunteer cleanup crew after a get-together or meeting? That's a little demeaning, unless you have the gift of service. Nursery? Can't they find something more meaningful for me to do?
           But wait... these pagans were being given the honor of serving in the house of the Lord, whether the tabernacle or the temple. There would be limits to how close they could get, but they were providing a vital service that made the work at the tabernacle and temple run  smoothly. They got to work close to where God met with the Israelites. I'm not sure that was a curse.
          There are a couple things to consider from today's passage. The first is our response when we're tricked, misled or mistaken. The second is our perspective when given a menial task at Church. Then again, maybe they are the same problem - because the idea that we're being given a "menial" task is a mistake on our part. All the jobs are serving God, and no matter how "menial" that task may seem, it's an honor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t