Skip to main content

You Want Me To WHAT?

      Now when all the Amorite kings west of the Jordan and all the Canaanite kings along the coast heard how the Lord had dried up the Jordan before the Israelites until they had crossed over, their hearts melted in fear and they no longer had the courage to face the Israelites.
     At that time the Lord said to Joshua, “Make flint knives and circumcise the Israelites again.” So Joshua made flint knives and circumcised the Israelites at Gibeath Haaraloth. Now this is why he did so: All those who came out of Egypt—all the men of military age—died in the wilderness on the way after leaving Egypt. All the people that came out had been circumcised, but all the people born in the wilderness during the journey from Egypt had not. The Israelites had moved about in the wilderness forty years until all the men who were of military age when they left Egypt had died, since they had not obeyed the Lord. For the Lord had sworn to them that they would not see the land he had solemnly promised their ancestors to give us, a land flowing with milk and honey. So he raised up their sons in their place, and these were the ones Joshua circumcised. They were still uncircumcised because they had not been circumcised on the way. And after the whole nation had been circumcised, they remained where they were in camp until they were healed.
         Then the Lord said to Joshua, “Today I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you.” So the place has been called Gilgal to this day. On the evening of the fourteenth day of the month, while camped at Gilgal on the plains of Jericho, the Israelites celebrated the Passover. The day after the Passover, that very day, they ate some of the produce of the land: unleavened bread and roasted grain. The manna stopped the day after they ate this food from the land; there was no longer any manna for the Israelites, but that year they ate the produce of Canaan. (Joshua 5:1-12)

         So, I've burned my bridges. I've crossed through the Jordan in order to do battle with the people of Jericho and begin the conquest of my personal "Promised Land." What is God's next command? To circumcise my warriors. WHAT? I'm to put the very "people" who are supposed to accomplish this task out of commission for three days or more? This is more than ridiculous, this is suicidal. Yet, this is precisely what I need to do. I need to incapacitate my pride, my ego, my will. I need to act in obedience even though it's precisely the "wrong" thing to do.
      Positive Mental Attitude books and tapes? They need to be cut from my life. Self-talk to enhance my self-esteem? Likewise. Those things are the uncircumcision. They are rooted in pride. It's not about what I can do, because I'm a nobody who can do nothing when it comes to removing the enemy from my promised land. It's precisely the opposite of everything we're being told today. Instead of working so hard to become (let's face it) God, I have to let God be God, accept my limitations no matter how painful that may be. It's temporary, though it may last longer than three days. When we humble ourselves, God lifts us up (James 4:10) in His time and in the manner He chooses. 
       But...!  But...! Oh yes, the self screams at the idea of being cut off. It's precious to us. If our obedience didn't have a cost to us, it wouldn't be obedience. The thing I have to remember is that this is the only way to conquer the Promised Land within us.
       Today's passage gives a couple clues about how to do this. Flint knives are sharp and hold their edges. Like taking off a bandage, it's best done quickly and with as little energy and force - depending instead on the tool. I'm not sure what that means yet, but it may mean something different each time and for each person. The other key is that during their time of convalescence, they were focused on the Passover lambs. On the last day of their convalescence, they celebrated the Passover. They sacrificed the lambs as they had sacrificed their foreskins. They remembered what God did before when their people were caught between the devil (Pharoah) and the deep blue sea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t