Skip to main content

Part Of Your World


            Now the family heads of the Levites approached Eleazar the priest, Joshua son of Nun, and the heads of the other tribal families of Israel at Shiloh in Canaan and said to them, “The LORD commanded through Moses that you give us towns to live in, with pasturelands for our livestock.” So, as the LORD had commanded, the Israelites gave the Levites the following towns and pasturelands out of their own inheritance:(Joshua 21:1-3)

            And the winner is... Judah. And the winner is...Joseph. And the winner is...Simeon, and so on down the line. I can almost imagine Joshua dusting off his hands, glad to be done with what was probably more difficult and more contentious than conquering: the division of the land among the tribes. He's ready to go to his tent, have a glass of wine and relax, when a group of men approach with the "We need to talk" look on their faces. They weren't pushy about it, they just reminded Joshua and the other tribes that God promised Levi that the rest of the tribes would provide them with towns to live in.
            Were you ever one of those kids who got picked last when your gym class chose teams? I wonder if Levi sometimes felt like that kid. The rest of the Israelites went off to war, Levi cleaned and polished the Tabernacle. Sure,  "it's an honor" and all that but everyone else is cutting the throats of our enemies, while we're cutting the throats of bulls, rams and turtle doves. Yeah, we're privileged but  we have to beg and we have to remind others about their responsibilities to us because we don't have the same rights as everyone else.
           I understand the feeling. Other people my age are married. Their kids are married and they have grandkids. As I walk around my neighborhood, I see some pretty nice looking places, and some ram shackles. My home here is closer to the latter. I don't have a regular job, haven't watched TV in a year, and I've only gotten my hair cut once since September, 2015.
           Don't get me wrong - I don't regret the choices I've made, but "everybody else".... Other people have "normal" lives that I probably wouldn't want if they were offered, but it's easy to long for something you don't have, even if you know it wouldn't make you happy, just because "everyone else" seems to be enjoying it.
            Here are the instructions God gave Israel and the Church in the New Testament. If you are part of one of the categories of "others" (widows, orphans, priests/ministers, singles,  prisoners, the poor...not as a result of sin) then do not hesitate to call on the Israel or the Church to share with their inheritance with you. If you are blessed with a more typical life, be sure to set aside part of your world for the members of your community who have been called to a different life. It's not your responsibility to take care of them - but it is your responsibility to share your world with them and to protect them so that they can do what God has called them to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t