Skip to main content

Are You Ready For An Episode of Spiritual Hoarders?


Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (James 5:16)

          Part of getting ready for a new year is dealing with the old. Most of us end up with at least a few regrets, or a few strained relationships by the end of the year. We know we shouldn’t have done this, or said that. What may seem worse is not what we have done, but what has been done to us. The end of 2017 is a great time to deal with those sins that are separating us from God or from one another. It may take asking forgiveness. It may require forgiving. The point is to enter 2018 without things hanging over our heads.
          It’s best to do this as soon as it happens, but I’m I, and you are you, and chances are we not only haven’t done it as it happened, or even the day it happened. Chances are there are things that have piled up. We didn’t mean to. We put a sin on our desk, planning to deal with it soon. Then there were four or five on the desk and we needed the desk, so we put them on a shelf. Others ended up on the floor by the door. The next thing we know, someone is suggesting our lives for an episode of spiritual Hoarders.
           I’m not suggesting that you should provide a list of your particular sins in the comments, but there is power in confessing to someone. It may be a paradox, but claiming your sin can take its power over you away. It can help you stop pretending. It can be the means of bringing you back together with the one that the sin separated you from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...