Skip to main content

Phoning It In

He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.” (Matthew 13:52)

         Some time ago, I addressed the worship wars and how we should treat one another in spite of those differences. This past weekend, I found myself on one of the sides of that situation, with a slightly different take. I tend to lean toward the traditionalist side of things much of the time, believing that we must not only seek to reach those who don’t know and haven’t heard, but that we also need to continue to meet the needs of those who have been around for a long time. It tends to feel to me as if sometimes churches take their core membership for granted, and therefore think it right to “put on a show” for visitors who might or might not even be there. That’s not really giving the worship team credit for their thoughts and prayers, but that’s how it feels sometimes.
         This weekend, though, I found myself in a situation in which I felt a little differently. It’s Christmas time, and of course, that means it’s time to hear the old, old story about the birth of Jesus Christ. And yes, it’s been told many, many times. How many ways can you possible tell that same moment in history? I understand that. But when the sermon outline is the exact same sermon as it was a year ago, questions need to be asked. I am sure this doesn’t happen everywhere, but I suspect it happens too often. There seem to me to be a couple explanations for repeating sermons. One is that the sermon was so phenomenal that the congregation asks to hear it again. The other reasons that come to mind are laziness and contempt for the congregation. “It doesn’t matter, they won’t remember.” Thinking like that doesn’t bring old and new treasures out of the storehouse, it throws out trash.
          Yes, the old, old stories need to be told again and again, but they must be told in ways that make the meaning clear, relevant, and vital to the  hearers. If we want them to be engaged, we must be, too. No phoning it in allowed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...