Skip to main content

Free Yourself


          My son, if you have put up security for your neighbor, if you have struck hands in pledge for another, if you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth, then do this, my son, to free yourself, since you have fallen into your neighbor’s hands: Go and humble yourself; press your plea with your neighbor! Allow no sleep to your eyes, no slumber to your eyelids. Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, like a bird from the snare of the fowler. (Proverbs 6:1-5) 

          I suppose something like this still happens. People may not be as close or dependent on their neighbors as they once were, but “neighbors” can include family members and friends. You co-sign a loan or provide collateral. Everything seems to be going along perfectly, until the collection agency calls you because that family member of friend missed payments. 
          Solomon’s advice is wise. My own reaction, if my finances allowed it, would probably be to pay the bill. Maybe afterwards, I’d have a talk with the guilty party, and swear that I will never get into the situation again. The problem is that doing so really isn’t good for the guilty party. It may relieve his immediate problem, but it won’t make him responsible person. 
          Solomon tells his son that the best idea is not to get into the situation in the first place, but if you do, the next best course of action is to keep after the debtor until the debt is repaid and you are free.
          There’s another situation that I think close enough to mention. Have you ever been on committee? Have you ever agreed to work on a project with someone? I have, and the same sort of problem has cropped up more than once. One or more of the committee members are just too busy to do what they originally agreed to do. Or they can’t figure it out, now that the deadline is upon you. As with the hypothetical debt, my tendency is to descend upon the person and do the work for them. Save the team, even if it destroys the person. 
          Again, the right answer would seem to be to keep aware of what is happening and, if necessary, hound the person who lags. I’m not saying to be mean, but to make sure that he is carrying his part of the load. Now, if I can only remember this when I find myself in the situation again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t