Skip to main content

Hard Reality


          Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who embrace her; those who lay hold of her will be blessed. (Proverbs 3:13-18) 

           We live in an era in which some people want us to believe that reality is a malleable construct of the imagination. I’m not sure whose imagination is supposed to have constructed it, but apparently, it is not mine. In this supposed construct, if a person decides or discovers that he/she identifies as a woman, he/she is a woman. If as a man, he/she is a man. If as a cat, he/she is a cat. Society seems to have the responsibility to accommodate those identities, unless the identity goes beyond what is considered socially acceptable. Someone who identifies as a sexual partner for a three-year-old is still not accepted (a fact for which we should all be grateful.)
          Of course, this accommodation is limited. Men who believe they are women should be treated as women, but men or women who believe that treating someone whose genetic makeup is male as a woman because he decides he’s a woman is foolish or wrong are condemned. There are places where you can be fined or fired for insisting on calling someone by gender-tags that offend that person. 
          This is a case of some people being “more equal” than others. Some self-identities, and some views of reality are permitted…but those permitted views are very specifically detached from what might be called hard-reality. For those whose identity is found in Scripture, this creates a problem because Scripture is all about hard-reality. Wisdom, as described by Scripture, is all about hard-reality.
         Wisdom is working within the confines of hard-reality. That’s why the paths of wisdom are peace, because peace involved accepting and working within hard-reality. In this era in which people want reality to bend to them, wisdom is in danger of becoming even more rare than it has been in previous generations. 
          I am not suggesting that we should be hateful toward those who hatefully demand that we bow to their beliefs in a malleable reality that does not stretch so far as to include ours. We should be patient with them and treat them as gently as we can without bowing. I have no more right to dictate their reality than they do to dictate mine. But whenever one’s reality differs from hard-reality, the wise thing to do is to accept the hard-reality. Living within it enriches a life. Declaring oneself the emperor of one’s own reality tends to result in the emperor getting “new clothes” over and over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t