Skip to main content

Love and Faithfulness


My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. (Proverbs 3:1-4)

            In yesterday’s blog, I made it clear that what I discussed wasn’t really what the Solomon was talking about. It’s not that I don’t think the things I said are true, it’s just that they weren’t really there to be drawn from the passage. I put them on the passage. I even said so at the time. What I was saying really had nothing to do with what Solomon said. I meant well, but I apologize for the misappropriation of Scripture. 
          Today’s passage is of a sort that I think is often misappropriated. People see the words “love” and “faithfulness” and put on them what they want them to mean. There are quips about real friends helping hide the bodies. There are calls out there for us all to demonstrate unconditional love, meaning that we support the behavior of those we love because that is supporting the person. No matter what a loved one does, we are to aid, abet, and support that thing because it makes our loved one happy. That, they say, is love and faithfulness. 
           It’s not, or if it is, it is not Scriptural love or faithfulness, because Scriptural love and faithfulness always begins with God’s love and faithfulness as the model and follows with our love and faithfulness to God before it ever gets to our love and faithfulness to another human being. 
          If you have read the Old Testament, you’ve seen that God corrects the Jews. He corrects the other nations, too. Those that persist in misbehavior, He punishes. Abraham, Moses, and at least one of the prophets confront God about His behavior. Will He destroy the righteous with the unrighteous? What if there are fifty…forty…ten? What will the nations say if God forsakes the people He promised to take to the Promised Land? It’s OK to confront God about His behavior, but not our fellow-man about hers? 
           In the New Testament, we’re given guidelines. First, we address the issue one-on-one. Second, we stage an intervention with two or three witnesses from the Church. If that doesn’t work, we take the person before the Church. If that doesn’t work, the person is excommunicated until such time as the person repents. That is Scriptural love and faithfulness. You don’t hide the bodies. You suggest that the person turn himself in, and if he doesn’t, you call the police.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...