Skip to main content

Always? Continually? All?


Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

          What is God’s will for me? This job, or that? This spouse, or that spouse, or no spouse? Living in a place where it gets cold? Or Hot? Rejoice always? Pray continually? Give thanks in all circumstances? Does God have any idea how ridiculous a notion those last three are? I know of people who eat dirt because there is nothing else to eat? I know someone who grew up in a place that had rats in the walls. I have acquaintances who were abused as children. There are people who face death daily, not as a job but just as people. 
          I’m not one of those people, and I suppose I can rejoice and give thanks that I’m not, but that’s not what Scripture tells us. We have this notion that thankfulness and rejoicing are somehow connected to a quality of life, a quality that tends to be higher than the one we have and is orders of magnitude above what those poor folks face. 
         My first thought goes back to what Brother Lawrence said. I seem to be stuck on it. “I can do no better unless You help me, Lord.” I’ve had jobs that battered me emotionally. I can’t say I was grateful. How can we do better at rejoicing always, praying continually, and giving thanks in all circumstances?
          A woman named Corrie TenBoom was challenged with this passage as she faced sleeping in flea-infested straw in a German concentration camp. Over time, it became apparent that the guards didn't want to have fleas, so they didn't enter the area if they could avoid it. That gave Corrie the opportunity to read the Bible she'd smuggled in with her, not only for her own benefit, but for the benefit of the women around her. Read her story, with tissues handy. It's called The Hiding Place.
          Is there anything…anything good about the circumstances? It might sound ridiculous but consider the question. Those jobs that battered me emotionally also made it possible for me to pay bills. To some extent, the employer was willing to work around my schedule, which allowed me to do things I wanted to do. I learned things I didn’t know before. I made some friends.
          One of the things I hear from friends who have gone to places where the residents eat dirt because there’s nothing else to eat talk about how happy the people are in spite of their circumstances. They’re alive. They have an opportunity to try to do something to help their loved ones. For those of us who are Christians, we have God. We have the Spirit of the Living God with us, living in and through us. 
          I think many of us, perhaps most of us, tend to think that happiness and gratitude mean that we like things just the way they are, and wouldn’t step into something better if it were offered. But as we gaze at the horizon for that better life, we miss out on God standing with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t