Skip to main content

My Name Is ________


                 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. (I Peter 2:9)

          Getting back to the issue of our identity, Peter doesn’t pull any punches. We are chosen. If you read the Old Testament, you’ll see that Israel was a chosen people. They were called to be a royal priesthood, a holy nation, and a people belonging to God, But God tells them repeatedly that they weren’t chosen because they were worthy, and they didn’t even become worthy because they were chosen. In fact, they became more corrupt. The nasty game show buzzer that says, “Wrong Answer” seemed an almost constant soundtrack for the nation for nearly two thousand years. Because of this, the idea that we are chosen people because we deserve it deserves a ROFL, but the truth is, I struggle with the idea of being a chosen person. 
          I tell myself that I don’t resent the fact that I’m not worthy to be chosen, but that might be hiding behind the reason I give sometimes. It’s not a constant thought, but watch carefully. I am sort of like Jonah. Jonah got mad at God because he knew, he just knew that if he weren’t  Nineveh, and those rotten, cruel, terrible, no good people repented, God would withhold judgment on them. Read the story,  you can hear his blood boil.
           I sometimes get angry, or depressed because God didn’t choose me because I’m good. He chose me because He’s good. That much is true, and I can rejoice in it along with you. The problem is that God’s choosing me sometimes feels like He draws names from a basket. “Chosen one number whatever, Karen Keil. Ho hum. Let’s move on to the next one.”
          When speakers tell the audience of which I’m a member that God is “crazy about you,” sometimes, it seems like they are demeaning God. Why would God behave in such an undignified manner about me? I counter that with the verse in Psalm 139 where (as I see it in my mind’s eye) God stops what He’s doing because I’m thinking … “He perceives my thoughts from afar.” It makes me wish I had higher quality thoughts more often. 
         For whatever reason He chose me, and for whatever reason He chose you, the point is that we have been chosen.  I should be more grateful and less suspicious. You should be more grateful and less whatever it is in you that resists Him. 
          In the Hunger Games trilogy, there are a couple times when Katniss basically curls up in a ball and says, “My name is Katniss Everdeen.” She follows that proclamation with one or two other facts that are just as simple. Today, I suggest that you and I both spend a little time saying, “My name is _______  (fill in the blank) and I am a chosen one.” And don’t be surprised if part of you resists. Just keep agreeing with Scripture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t