Skip to main content

One Baptism


So in Christ Jesus, you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. here is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Galatians 3:26-29)
                There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. (Ephesians 4:4-6) 
          For the past few weeks in Sunday School, we’ve been looking at what was different about Christianity in the first century. One of the differences brought up was baptism. For most of us, there’s that mental assent, “Yeah, baptism, being dunked or sprinkled… yeah,, so what?” We live in a society that basically shrugs its shoulders as such religious mumbo-jumbo. But there are areas in the world (even in the U.S.) where being baptized leads to ostracization by family, imprisonment, or execution, because attending church, or spending time around Christian folks can be shrugged off as curiosity or trying to convert them, baptism identifies you as one of them. 
         Yesterday, I watched a video that touches on this. Now that I’m thinking back on it, it was a much more interesting video than I originally thought because of the connections. It is a video about how purple dye was made for use in royal clothing. Here’s the Video 
          Let me share a few of the interesting parallels I see. First, in order to make purple dye one need to gather as many as ten thousand of a specific sort of shellfish. Parallel One: Death is involved in our being clothed in purple (made part of the royal family) The dye-makers had to crack the shells and ferment them in a pot for ten days. One of the big points the video makes is about the stench of the shell-fish. I find myself thinking that the smell is probably as ugly as sin.
          After ten days and tests that involved touching and tasting the fermented masticated muscles, the cloth was placed in the pot. After about thirty minutes, the cloth is pulled back out and… it’s not purple. It starts out pale, turns sort of greenish, and finally darkens to royal purple. 
         The process of dipping the cloth in the dye comes from the same root as baptism. Baptism is a symbolic version of Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. It’s also a symbol of our being identified with Christ. We would like to believe that a quick dunk or a little sprinkle is enough to make us “royal purple” but it requires that we abide in a stinking pot (the world) for a time, and when we come out of the pot, we aren’t royal purple, It takes time even after we’ve been saved and baptized. And I’m betting that even once the cloth was purple, it was washed at least once to rid it of the bouquet.
         As I thought about our being identified with Christ, I thought about the whole “identity politics” thing. People are being encouraged to pick one or more things about themselves that they think sets them apart from others, whether it’s race (Jew or Greek), gender or sexual preference (Male or Female), history of oppression or status as oppressed (Slave or Free) or whatever, and put it on a pedestal  That small part of themselves now becomes the thing bigger than themselves (they think) that gives them self-worth. From what I’ve seen, it usually gives them a basis to declare themselves better than everyone around them who isn’t just like them. 
          This is one of the ways that Christianity is different. The identity of the Christian is not based on something distinctive about the Christian. It is external, and can only be given to us through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It’s counter-cultural in the extreme, but baptism, true baptism and not just the symbol, is the only way we are made worthy of royalty. All that nice, polite, "just believism" is no substitute for baptism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t