Skip to main content

I Can Do Nothing Better


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

          I’ve gotten into the habit of checking the “verse of the day” on a Bible website to see if it has an interesting verse for me to blog about. This was today’s.  I’d already had an idea in mind, and it fits perfectly. 
          In The Practice of the Presence of God, brother Lawrence is quoted as saying, “Lord, I will never be able to do that if You don’t help me,” when he considered doing some good deed. When he sinned, he said, “I can do nothing better without You. Please keep me from falling and correct the mistakes I make.” He was described as not being surprised by his sins. He would say, “That is my nature, the only thing I know how to do.” He would then confess his sin and go on his way.
          Part of me screams about this seeming light-heartedness about sin. How could he consider it so insignificant, so inconsequential? The other part of me doubts that he was that lackadaisical. Instead, he seemed to deal honestly with himself and with his sins. If he was too laid back about his sins, I’m probably too hyper about some of my sins, and too self-justifying about others. 
          The other day on my walk, I found myself getting anxious about the tasks of the day. They were all at home, waiting for me to get back to them, screaming for my attention form half a mile away. One of the anxiety triggers I deal with is having things to do about which I can do nothing at the time. I can’t cook or clean while I’m on my walk, and my walk is good for my body and my soul. I struggled with just enjoying the walk. It didn’t help that my walk was in an urban setting,  but my trip to Presque Isle a week ago had the same, “must keep moving” and “when you get home…” feelings as the walk. 
          I think that to obey today’s commandment, I need to move a little in brother Lawrence’s direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...