Skip to main content

God...


          I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,  and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way. (Ephesians 1:18-23)

            Continuing a theme I’ve shared before, if the hope to which God has called us, or the riches of His glorious inheritance in His holy people, or His incomparably great power for us who believe resulted in mere riches, power, and fame for us, why would the eyes of our hearts (wills) need to be enlightened? What sort of “great” power would it take to give us those things? Job, Abraham, Isaac, Ishmael, Jacob, Esau, Joseph, David, Solomon, the kings of Egypt, the kings of Babylon, Assyria, the current queen of England…we could list rich, powerful, and famous people all day long. How much effort did God have to go to to make them rich, powerful, and famous? He created the universe in seven days by just commanding that the exist. Granted, there is a sense in which He had to restrict Himself in order for “other” to exist, but all that really took was “Let there be light...”
          It seems to me that a far greater price was paid at Calvary. It also seems to me that our understanding of the resurrection is probably very shallow if we think that all that it took was raising the dead (which God had already done through some prophets and Jesus, so it was clearly not a big deal.) But what Paul says gives the impression that this was a big deal. I think the reason for this is that it was the proof or culmination of what came before that, the sacrifice that paid for our sins. It was a big deal because it unlocked the door to God.
           Some folks may wonder why this was a big deal. God’s God after all. He could set things up however He wants. That’s what omnipotent means, after all. The problem is, that’s not what omnipotent means. He can do whatever He wants to, but He can’t want to do what is not in line with his character. It’s sort of like saying that you could lead the massacre of millions of people.   
           Technically, you could, especially if you only had to sign a piece of paper and didn’t have to participate in the slaughter. You could, in theory, but it would require that you violate yourself first. You would have to become a different person from the one that both you and I believe you to be.
           God can do whatever He wants, but He cannot want to do something that violates His character. Therefore, I would suggest that what happened during the crucifixion and resurrection is a big deal because it is the best example of God being God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t