Skip to main content

God...


          I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,  and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way. (Ephesians 1:18-23)

            Continuing a theme I’ve shared before, if the hope to which God has called us, or the riches of His glorious inheritance in His holy people, or His incomparably great power for us who believe resulted in mere riches, power, and fame for us, why would the eyes of our hearts (wills) need to be enlightened? What sort of “great” power would it take to give us those things? Job, Abraham, Isaac, Ishmael, Jacob, Esau, Joseph, David, Solomon, the kings of Egypt, the kings of Babylon, Assyria, the current queen of England…we could list rich, powerful, and famous people all day long. How much effort did God have to go to to make them rich, powerful, and famous? He created the universe in seven days by just commanding that the exist. Granted, there is a sense in which He had to restrict Himself in order for “other” to exist, but all that really took was “Let there be light...”
          It seems to me that a far greater price was paid at Calvary. It also seems to me that our understanding of the resurrection is probably very shallow if we think that all that it took was raising the dead (which God had already done through some prophets and Jesus, so it was clearly not a big deal.) But what Paul says gives the impression that this was a big deal. I think the reason for this is that it was the proof or culmination of what came before that, the sacrifice that paid for our sins. It was a big deal because it unlocked the door to God.
           Some folks may wonder why this was a big deal. God’s God after all. He could set things up however He wants. That’s what omnipotent means, after all. The problem is, that’s not what omnipotent means. He can do whatever He wants to, but He can’t want to do what is not in line with his character. It’s sort of like saying that you could lead the massacre of millions of people.   
           Technically, you could, especially if you only had to sign a piece of paper and didn’t have to participate in the slaughter. You could, in theory, but it would require that you violate yourself first. You would have to become a different person from the one that both you and I believe you to be.
           God can do whatever He wants, but He cannot want to do something that violates His character. Therefore, I would suggest that what happened during the crucifixion and resurrection is a big deal because it is the best example of God being God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...