Skip to main content

Paul's Prayer I



          For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.  I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. (Ephesians 3:14-17a)

          We’ve reached the time of year when I add safety to my prayer request list of wisdom, direction, and attitude. I also usually present an administrative apology in advance in case my posts get interrupted by travel. There are some other things I might be tempted to add this year, because I know prayer is more important than I practice.
          In today’s passage and tomorrow’s, Paul shares about his prayer for the Ephesians. Now, I imagine that if he knew that someone from Ephesus was sick, he’d prayer for that sickness. Or, if he knew someone was going on a journey, he’d pray for journey mercies, or possibly success. Those are important prayers. We need to love people enough to care about the ex-sister-in-law of their second cousin because that person matters to the person asking for prayer and to God, but Paul’s focus here is in line with God’s will for each of us.
          Looking at the New International Version of the passage, it’s tempting to see this in terms of encouragement, which means in-heart-continuing. I think it is meant to be encouraging, but the Greek seems to add a slightly different emphasis. It’s not so much that God gives you the strength to face whatever, it’s that He faces whatever in His power through you. It’s the difference between God turning a wimp into a superhero, and God stepping in and being the superhero.
          The result of that power is that Christ dwells in our hearts. It needs to be mentioned here that Paul wasn’t talking about Christ living in our emotions. This isn’t about our feelings. The heart is the seat of the will, wh ich at least suggests that the power that strengthens us, or powerfully works through us operates through our choices.
          Turning the mirror toward myself, this idea is scary. I have told people that my father and I were a great pair. He didn’t want to make any decisions, and I live in fear of making the wrong decision. And, it was a given that whatever decision I made, unless it was the one Dad would have made, it was wrong. Now I’m making decisions that I feel ill-equipped to make. I don’t know what the right answer, but I am making them and moving forward with the prayer that God will work through me to accomplish His will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t