Skip to main content

Not Just Pastors


           Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. (Ephesians 4:25)

           For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

           Pastors aren’t the only ones who are expected to tell the truth. So, let’s try to get to the heart of the matter. What is truth? According to most of the philosophers I’ve read, truth is what corresponds to reality. So, what is reality? It is that which actually is, as opposed to an idealistic or notional (exiting only in the mind) idea of them. If it’s not a circular definition, it’s close.
           There are some people who will claim that, based on those definitions, truth and reality are only those things that are observed or observable, the experienced or the experimental (meaning that it can be experienced repeatedly under controlled circumstances.) Of course, the problem with that is that the expect what they have observed or experienced to be the standard. Of course, if they experience something they claim isn’t possible, they’ll say that they have lost their minds rather than admit that truth and reality aren’t what they have believed, because their “truth” and their “reality” are notional.
          The other end of the spectrum is just as bad. There are those who claim that because they believe something, it becomes reality. If you identify as a(n) _______, you are a(n) ________. At least, within some limits. I have yet to gain access to the Gates bank accounts by identifying as a Gates.
           It’s at this end that we have another difficulty, the whole area of opinion. This is the realm of the “Does this dress make me look fat?” mess.
         Truth is a double-edged sword. It’s not meant to make us happy, at least not in the sense that what makes us happy is true. It is meant to make us happy in the sense that if we are functioning with reality instead of against it, we are more likely to be happy The first steps in telling the truth to others are to seek out the truth, value it, and tell it to ourselves. For Christians, the best place to begin your search is with the Bible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t