Skip to main content

Paul's Reasons


           For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles—
          Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets.  This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 3:1-6)
        “So this is why I…” Paul seems to start into an idea here, and interrupt it to reintroduce himself. He makes it sound as though he thinks his readers know who he is, but just in case someone hadn’t heard, or just in case they forgot who he was and thought of him as “Our Buddy, Paul,” he sets the record straight. He was not only the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of the Gentiles, their own special ambassador, but he was someone who had encountered Christ. He was an apostle with a special message that benefitted them greatly.
       Some may think that Paul was insecure, trying to prop up his claim so he didn’t feel so much like a cheat, or trying to acquire the power necessary to impose his vision on others. I don’t buy that. I go with the perspective I suggested in the paragraph above, that he was introducing himself to any new folk, and reminding his friends that they need to pay attention to what he’s saying because he’s not just their friend. I have a friend who asked her children, “Which of us is the mother?” It’s the same idea.
       I’m glad he did, because his references to his past, which some might consider self-aggrandizement, provides insight into Paul, but also first person historical accounts. The key in studying history is to find evidence that was generated by those who were present at the event.
       And what does he remind them? They had heard about what God did to him, and that it was done for their benefit. They knew, then, where he was coming from and that he had a clue or two. God’s message to them is that they count. They are included.
       There are at least two reasons why this statement is wonderful, wise, and needed. First, it counters snobbery. The Ephesians couldn’t look down their noses at the Jews, and the Jews couldn’t look down their noses at the Ephesians. Paul’s message was one of unity and diversity. 
      The second reason it was needed is that already, others were trying to push Paul aside, and to change things to be as they saw fit, not how God told Paul to do them. Metaphorical “history” would need to hear God’s Word through him, and the more he write, the greater assurance there was that the world would know what God told Paul. It would be harder to hide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...