Skip to main content

Attacking Christianity

             “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.  (Matthew 5:22-24)

“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. (Matthew: 18: 15-17)

“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.”

 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. (Matthew 6:9-14)

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:5)

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,5that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-38)

 Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-39)

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? (Matthew 7:1-3)

Yesterday, someone posted a meme saying “People don’t leave Christianity because they stop believing in the teachings of Jesus. People leave Christianity because they believe in the teachings of Jesus so much that they can’t stomach being part of an institution that claims to be about that and clearly isn’t.”

Since we are supposed to be people of the Word, I want to provide what I believe Scripture has to say about it, and since the claim was specifically about “the teachings of Jesus,” I want to do so using only the teachings of Jesus, though the apostles Paul, John, and Peter speak to the matter eloquently and consistently with Scripture.  I’m not providing any names because the point is not to attack a person (or an organization) but to address the ideas expressed.

          But let me first point out that this claim is not about what a specific congregation or a specific pastor preaches or about leaving one congregation or pastor to go to another. It is specifically about rejecting Christianity because the person making the claim perceives Christianity to be an institution that does not live up to “the teachings of Jesus.”

          So, let’s summarize the teachings above. We are to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strengths. This is the number one thing and if we do not do this, we may as well not bother with the rest. If we love God, we are to obey Him. We are also to love our neighbor as ourselves, and even to love our enemies. We are to forgive one another rather than to judge one another, and when we do judge, we are supposed to be extremely careful that we are not even more guilty of the sin than the person we are judging. We are also to follow a specific procedure in our response to someone who is sinning.

          Now, the situation in question involves a Christian sharing a post in which someone condemns all Christians who don’t happen to see everything precisely as one or the other dictates that all Christians be. There is no room for grace. There is no room for imperfection. There is no room for growth. There is no room for forgiveness. There is not even any room for disagreements on lesser issues. And if any portion of Christendom fails, the whole is condemned.

          In this, it is very like Critical Race Theory, which holds that if your skin is considered “white” you are racist. You can not but be racist. No matter how hard you try, you will still be racist because you can’t see things from the perspective of someone who is not white, while those whose skin is not white cannot be racist even though they cannot really see things from the white perspective even if that is the predominant perspective. All whites and all Christians (except those approved by the poster and the person who shared it) are demons who must be rejected, and all non-whites and those who reject Christianity are saints and prophets who speak the “word of God” which is to be obeyed without question.

          As an alternative to this, I suggest that our goal should be to live according to the verses listed above and perhaps to see things more as Dallas Willard describes them in Renovation of the Heart  (p. 234)

“The local groups of disciples, in the usual case, will certainly have people at all stages of the journey. They can be compared to hospitals with people at various stages of recovery and progress toward health.”

            I submit that bombing the hospital isn’t going to help the patients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t