Skip to main content

How Do You Walk?

                So then, be careful how you walk, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:15-16)

Some people can watch movies like John Carpenter’s The Thing or one of the movies from the Alien franchise. Maybe I could now, too, but thirty years ago when they were released, it was a big mistake. In high school and college, I made the mistake of going to a handful of movies I shouldn’t have. It took a while, but I learned that I have to be careful about what I see. I’m not saying they were bad movies, just that they were bad for me.

In my forties, I managed for a time to be careful about what I ate, and about giving my body the exercise it needed. I suspect that most of the physical problems I have now are a result of ceasing to be careful in those regards, but I’m finding it difficult to work up sufficient caring to do something about it.

Other people may not need to be as careful about what they watch or eat or do, or they may need to be careful in other ways. And there are many ways in which we should all be careful, like not texting or doing anything else while driving and not driving while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.

Today’s passage deals with these things, but with more than these things. Sadly, it sems to me that I have not made the most of my time for most of my life. I’ve wasted time, energy, money, talent, and probably lots more that is more important than those three. According John Ortberg, one of his mentor, Dallas Willard’s regrets was that he had (or had probably) wasted so much time.

There are a number of things we need to keep in mind as wise people. God is gracious. He makes up for our failings – not necessarily in the way we want, but according to His own wisdom. We are not wise enough to know the true impact of things that we might consider a waste of time, money, talent, and energy. And, as the old saying goes, “Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” As I look back at my life, I find lots of reasons to emotionally flog myself. Such a waste. Such a loser. So many mistakes. So foolish. So immature, and so on.

But what have I learned from it? Not much, and not the right things, or so it seems from my perspective. I’ve learned that I am an immature, weak fool who wastes, loses, makes mistakes, and sins. Is that really learning anything? Have I learned that God is wise, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent Love? Have I learned to love and be loved?  And does God consider the failures I regret to be real failures? Or are they just the minor tumbles taken by a toddler learning to walk?

It seems as if part of the answer to those questions comes down to whether or not I learn to walk from them. Another piece of the puzzle is the question of individuality. Something might not be a good use of my time, but be an excellent use of yours. Other things are never a waste of time for anyone, or always a waste of time for everyone.  

The biggest key seems to be our thinking about what we’re doing. I've become more conscious about how I walk physically. One ankle doesn't complain about things too much, but the other doesn't want to move in certain directions, and my ability to respond to missteps is slowing. That's why I had to have a tooth crowned this past summer. As we fail, we discover our weaknesses, we learn to be more careful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t